Like Tree67Likes

Considering move to Singapore

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Maybejames:
    Has anyone on the forum made the move yet that is still here?
    I want to know if moving to SG on a HKD salary is pretty much like for like?
    I see that housing is cheaper, but some other stuff is a little higher.

Are there any obvious things to watch out for?
    (Been told to relocate, but my package is staying the same)
    I started the thread, but am still in HK - I still want to move to Singapore. I've been keeping my eye on various facebook / whatsapp groups, and broad feedback seems to be (admittedly second hand), that Singapore is generally now more expensive than HK (rents in some locations have gone up to be broadly on par with HK).

The general advice seems to be that you should try to negotiate an increase in salary to maintain your savings rate / lifestyle expectations.
    Maybejames, tf19, shri and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    I started the thread, but am still in HK - I still want to move to Singapore. I've been keeping my eye on various facebook / whatsapp groups, and broad feedback seems to be (admittedly second hand), that Singapore is generally now more expensive than HK (rents in some locations have gone up to be broadly on par with HK).

The general advice seems to be that you should try to negotiate an increase in salary to maintain your savings rate / lifestyle expectations.
    Taxes. Higher scale and no specific provision for housing allowance.

No way, even with recent rises rent still significantly cheaper in Singapore for same quality/size/niceness of area

mistakes_maker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkemail888:
    No way, even with recent rises rent still significantly cheaper in Singapore for same quality/size/niceness of area
    Especially if you don't mind renting HDB in further areas like Yishun, Jurong, Tampines. I used to rent a condo private room in Bukit Panjang on top of a shopping mall, with free gym, sauna, 3 swimming pools and bbq areas and it was only SGD 1200 a month.

Unfortunately it's true, rents are up a lot in Singapore.

From Bloomberg:

Rents are skyrocketing in Singapore, particularly in the prime accommodation favored by expatriate residents, as surging demand from locals and newer arrivals collides with pandemic-induced delays in supply. Rental prices for the private properties leased by expats are rising on average by 20% to 40%, according to 10 real estate agents interviewed by Bloomberg, though some landlords are even asking for double the previous rent.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...under-pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Singapore = Disneyland with the death penalty.
    And about 30% higher taxes in the top bracket
    Skyhook likes this.

The no nos for me are

The climate - for all the pollution I prefer the seasons and actually like the summer humidity

The coutnryside - I may stand to be corrected by someone living there but I don’t believe there’s anywhere near the variety of hiking, water sports and other activities I benefit from here.

Cost of Alcohol I could live with. That doesn’t rule my life. 3 weeks since my last drop, though there’s nothing like a good night out.

To me there are plus points. Variety of quality food (especially Indian), proximity to Thailand and others for long weekends (Changi is also a pretty decent airport experience, as good as HKIA at its best). If I had a young family I would definitely choose Singapore over HK.

Not for me and praying that our company doesn’t jump on the bandwagon, which I think is extremely unlikely.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5