Like Tree15Likes

What is illegal parking?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The funny thing is I have always parked in paid parking! And this one occurred at 8.33 am when I came back to the car, and I had expected such diligence from the warden so early in the morning.

Another thing has always made me wonder. Often I see shops blocking the road outside with chairs and stools, and the cops don't seem to mind. I wonder if they are on the take. In fact, wasn't there some ordinance to levy spot fines against occuping platform space outside shops?

villages is a totally different story.
    they even have their own rules

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Not true lots of free parking in country parks and some villages.

Those lines are bloody useless Imo, waste of paint as no one adheres to them. The HK transport road users guide states "On a road with street lighting - that is a road where the street lights are spaced not more than 200 metres apart - other than in a marked parking space"

So your just need to find that magical road with lampposts spaciously spaced, no yellow lines and cause no obstruction...

Hong Kong and other Asian cities like anywhere else in the world provide no free parking in downtown areas however here unlike CAN/US there is a dearth of paid on street parking options. In Korea there are informal parking lots all over, often a derelict lot that's waiting for development, HK could do this is places but I guess the regulations are too strict.

I posted on here recently about our village being hit twice with cars ticketed. It’s utter nonsense. The village is a cul de sac at least half a mile from the main road.

Not having a car here means I’ve paid little attention to the rules and it always baffled me why some of the cars were ticketed around Sai Kung. Now it starts to make more sense but common sense would find a better approach to either providing free spaces or converting those ticketing spots in town to meters.

Well that’s the second time in a short space that the car park at Pak Kong soccer pitch has been targeted. Some of those cars have been there for so long I guess the owners are still massively benefitting.

Many have expired annual road license (or whatever it’s actually called) but that seems to be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Some of those cars have been there for so long I guess the owners are still massively benefitting.
    Yes, it comes down to math. With 1-2 tickets a week you win (depending on area)

Many have expired annual road license (or whatever it’s actually called) but that seems to be OK?
    No, you certainly get a separate ticket for that. It's a different offense. Parking ticket is good for 2 hours, expired license I am not sure. This said, I am not sure the brown wardens give expired license tickets. It might need police. Will ask when I see one next time.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

One point I like to add: I can't really understand that drivers with an expired license do park illegally. I think that fine is even higher than the modest $320 parking ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Overall if you've always thought you could park where there are no lines and have gotten away with it till now you've saved a hell of a lot in parking costs! It is generally cheaper to park illegally unless the police are having one of their periodic crackdowns. During the protests it was open season.
    Not in my street. My street is a dead end, near a luxury residence in Kowloon. Almost every single night, the police is out for their crop of easy fines. They come as late as 22.00, to catch the drivers trying to save on a night parking (my building has no parking spaces for rent, overnight parking is extortionist and local estates that take "refugee cars" are at least 20 mins walk away).

Insanity prevails. They are now installing parking meters in my village car park (I don’t have a car so not impacted). It’s a dead end a long way from the main road. No one is going to drive here that doesn’t live here or visiting. I don’t understand the rationale.

Insanity prevails. They are now installing parking meters in my village car park (I don’t have a car so not impacted). It’s a dead end a long way from the main road. No one is going to drive here that doesn’t live here or visiting. I don’t understand the rationale.
    Obviously someone has money to spend and someone else has money to make in this ...

Discrete wealth transfer.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.