Like Tree5Likes

Difference between CFD and FND, and why can't I buy FND?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

@Sith - Thanks. Learn something new every day.

To confirm .. say if ETFs like VT, SPY etc do not have KIID docs in the required language, investors from some country in the EU which requires that language will be blocked from trading it?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @Sith - Thanks. Learn something new every day.

To confirm .. say if ETFs like VT, SPY etc do not have KIID docs in the required language, investors from some country in the EU which requires that language will be blocked from trading it?
    Yes correct unless you are a professional investor. Some brokers have also the option to register as a professional investor (even if you are not) if you fulfil certain requirements but that depends on the broker.
    shri likes this.

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)

Thank you very much for clarifying all this. I have tried to register as a professional investor with Saxo, but they have a bunch of requirements which I don't fulfill, in particular I haven't made a lot of transactions over the last years. I wonder if it's easier to register as a professional advisor with IB?

Saxo's ability to deal/trade in the particular stock/instrument might have something to do with it too? It only offers certain listed U.S. stock (and not all of them) and CFDs only for some to its non U.S. customers. It's not a U.S./CFTC registered broker-dealer so even though all this is happening outside of U.S. and to non U.S. customers, I'm guessing it would need to have easy access to these stock via local dealers or open market one way or another without triggering registration requirements.

vs IB (licensed in U.S.) that has a bigger offering of U.S. stock but few CFDs (OTC not permitted in U.S.)

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    It's not a U.S./CFTC registered broker-dealer so even though all this is happening outside of U.S. and to non U.S. customers,
    Again, in the learn something new department, this is news to me. Do have an account there and it might be dormant and have it there as a standby incase I need it for whatever random reason. Had not checked Saxo's registrations... and yep, does not seem to be registered in the US as a broker dealer.

IB (naturally), HSBC, DBS and Standard Chartered and a number of other suspects are registered.

https://brokercheck.finra.org/

and

https://www.home.saxo/legal/saxo-ban...icense-details