Wall drainage -sewage smell

Closed Thread

Wall drainage -sewage smell

Hi

There is an awful sewage smell in my kitchen and bathroom which I am assuming is emitting from the drainage. Unfortunately the drainage in my apartment are not floor drainage. They are the wall kind with grilles ! So it's difficult to flush water or any cleaning agent in to try to clean the pipes.

Does anyone know how to deal with this? Anything I can get some kind of tools and cleaning agent??

Thanks in advance!!

I have duct taped mine. I got lazy with filling water. It’s been holding strong for 4-5 years.

You need to pour lots of bleach down there.

The way to do is is to get a washing up liquid bottle with a small squeeze hole and just squeeze the bottle and squirt into it. Just put a towel under it. I've done this before. Afterwards seal it. Just hope your neighbour below doesn't have covid because that is one. way of transmission.

I have one of these in my kitchen. I got a paper cup with wax lining (from a starbucks type shop) and just cut it into an 'L' shape so it is kind of a funnel. Then I pour diluted bleach from a big pasta sauce jar i had lying around into the drain. Make sure you wear gloves when handling bleach.

Or, you can go to a hardward store and see if they have a funnel and a rubber tube that can be forced into the grill.

Or, you can get one of those plastic files and again, cut it into a shape that would mean it could be used as a funnel! :-)

Maybe my home-made plant watering bottle might work...just need to poke hole in cap of cheap empty bottle+straw+rubber band. If you've done it right, there should be no leakage even if you squirt it upside down.

Name:  watering bottle.PNG
Views: 1473
Size:  180.8 KB

Well-built homes have slight inclines near the drain so you don't have to aim exactly into it... just slowly pour water onto the floor near it and the water will go down like magic. Do the water before using bleach; it's likely you won't need it.