Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 2 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By HSY

Mid-air Monkeypox: Outbreak reported onboard BA flight forced staff to quarantine

Closed Thread

Mid-air Monkeypox: Outbreak reported onboard BA flight forced staff to quarantine

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/06/2...ht-quarantine/

Apparently if you had the smallpox vaccine you can't catch monkeypox. Yeah. One less thing to worry about!

Wasn't the smallpox vaccine so successful that it eradicated the disease globally? So most living people have never had that vaccine.

I do wonder if people are going to object to the smallpox vaccine, or claim this is some part of an overarching global conspiracy.

Though come to think of it, this is really a foregone conclusion.

hullexile likes this.

I think we got smallpox vaccines in India. Not too sure but I do have that vaccine scar on my arm and have forgotten which vaccine it is.

These days everything is in inshallah mode. Only so much you can worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I think we got smallpox vaccines in India. Not too sure but I do have that vaccine scar on my arm and have forgotten which vaccine it is.

These days everything is in inshallah mode. Only so much you can worry about.
    Good point. Just googled, and it seems like the vaccine was given up to Gen Z (90s birth year).

...we are continuing to see a notable proportion of cases in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men...
    =__= I think it's time I email WHO. No other reason, I just want to swear at them and cuss them out. I'll give UKHSA the benefit of the doubt that they are just following WHO's cue - similar disclosure on WHO site.

Why the gay numbers need to be counted when it is just a notable proportion - nfi. Maybe some intern drafted a checklist based on the HIV one they used in the 80s. This was relevant to HIV at the beginning because cases were almost all from gay men and the research hadn't advanced to the point of linking up stray cases to HIV virus. Right now, this is as meaningful as saying there is a notable proportion of monkeypox cases in straight, heterosexual men who have sex with women.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    =__= I think it's time I email WHO. No other reason, I just want to swear at them and cuss them out. I'll give UKHSA the benefit of the doubt that they are just following WHO's cue - similar disclosure on WHO site.

Why the gay numbers need to be counted when it is just a notable proportion - nfi. Maybe some intern drafted a checklist based on the HIV one they used in the 80s. This was relevant to HIV at the beginning because cases were almost all from gay men and the research hadn't advanced to the point of linking up stray cases to HIV virus. Right now, this is as meaningful as saying there is a notable proportion of monkeypox cases in straight, heterosexual men who have sex with women.
    According to this article 99 per cent. Now I would say that’s a significant proportion and if it alerts the gay/bisexual community to get inoculated then where’s the harm? I don’t think anyone is denying the risks across the spectrum.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1300951_1.html

99% would be significant, I just think WHO is dropping the ball. For HIV, it was gay men first and they had no other case sample so the assumption was sexually transmitted only and only amongst gay men. They couldn't test if it could be transmitted by other methods or to women, e.g. blood or het sex because they couldn't isolate the virus yet (my recollection, could be off) - once they realized it could be transmitted by blood and bodily fluids, to women, men, babies, the gay count became irrelevant because not just limited to sexual transmission between gay men.

That's why I think the gay count is irrelevant here. I agree with warning certain groups esp if they suspect a high % of gay men are carriers, esp from origin countries, then to advise them to get innoculated but they're not doing that either. They're just laying out the stats like a dead fish with no other context.

blueagles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Wasn't the smallpox vaccine so successful that it eradicated the disease globally? So most living people have never had that vaccine.

I do wonder if people are going to object to the smallpox vaccine, or claim this is some part of an overarching global conspiracy.

Though come to think of it, this is really a foregone conclusion.
    The last batch of smallpox vaccines for most of the world was in the early 1970's. From Wikipedia.

Smallpox was eradicated by a massive international search for outbreaks, backed up with a vaccination program, starting in 1967. It was organised and co-ordinated by a World Health Organization (WHO) unit, set up and headed by Donald Henderson. The last case in the Americas occurred in 1971 (Brazil), south-east Asia (Indonesia) in 1972, and on the Indian subcontinent in 1975 (Bangladesh). After two years of intensive searches, what proved to be the last endemic case anywhere in the world occurred in Somalia, in October 1977.[53]: 526–37  A Global Commission for the Certification of Smallpox Eradication chaired by Frank Fenner examined the evidence from, and visited where necessary, all countries where smallpox had been endemic. In December 1979 they concluded that smallpox had been eradicated; a conclusion endorsed by the WHO General Assembly in May 1980.[53]: 1261–62
    jgl and Mrs. Jones like this.

I don't think we will have a thread for monkeypox humor.. So..