Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aw451

Tuition fees for Hong hong University (for dependant visa holder)

Closed Thread

Hi,

I'm Holding a dependant visa sponsored by my spouse (local HKPRID CARD HOLDER). So I'm allowed both to work and study freely.

I have been in hk working and paying my taxes jointly with partner for the last 4 years.

The next academic year I'm planning to take some courses in hong kong uni. I was checking how much are the tuition fess, found out that Unis apply different tuition for local and non-local, so I checked what uni considers local/non-local, much to my surprise, I found out that I was considered a non-local and have to pay international student fees, here a link from CITYU explaining more:

https://www.admo.cityu.edu.hk/intl/i...tus_definition

Student fees for local apply to those below among others:

-Document of Identity / One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong
    -Dependant visa / entry permit (for students who were below 18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration)
    -Full-time employment visa / work permit (for part-time study)
    -Visa / entry permit for Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
    -Visa / entry permit for Capital Investment Entrant Scheme

So me, who is married to a local/working/paying taxes are considered
    non-local and the full time employment visa holder, quality migrant, capital investment is considered local?!

So I see it this way, the only way for me to be considered a local and pay only as much a local for uni is to switch from dependant visa to employement visa,then from there I will be considered a local by Universities here. And its confusing are employement visa holder even aloowed to study and work simultaneously when holding and employment visa?!!!!

Have anyone went through similar situation!?
    please advice how did you approach it.

You are a local on a dependant visa.

It states clearly that Employment Visa holders can take up Part Time study only at local rates. It all makes sense, they want people contributing to the economy, not coming in and claiming recourse to public funds.

Capital Investment people have already contributed by virtue of their investment and Quality Migrants are a small minority of inward immigration either from the mainland or people with esoteric skills.

ReleaseZeKraken likes this.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You are a local on a dependant visa.
    -You are a local under One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong?!

-You are a local under Full-time employment visa / work permit (for part-time study)?!?

-You are a local under Visa / entry permit for Quality Migrant Admission Scheme?!!

-You are a local under Visa / entry permit for Capital Investment Entrant Scheme?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    It states clearly that Employment Visa holders can take up Part Time study only at local rates. It all makes sense, they want people contributing to the economy, not coming in and claiming recourse to public funds.

Capital Investment people have already contributed by virtue of their investment and Quality Migrants are a small minority of inward immigration either from the mainland or people with esoteric skills.
    So you are stating that people who are on a dependant visa are not contributing to hk economy by (not working/not paying taxes/chilling and living off public funds), mhmm.

Firstly you don't get your dependant visa approved unless you partner shows financial proofs so they are sure that you wouldn't resort to ask welfare/or public funds.

And above, I already stated that I have been working and paying taxes since I set foot in hk.

I have choosen to get a dependant visa instead of an employment one out of convience. In a way it gives you more flexibility (study, work, start a biz without much restrictions).
    My company can always sponsor my employment visa if I want to make the switch.

I ain't asking for public funds, I'm only questioning why as depandant visa holder sponsored by a local hong-kong/Chinese partner I'm not untitled to pay as much as locals when in another scenario the spouse of a hong-kong/Chinese who is mainlander and coming to hk on a way permit is entitled to it.
    Last edited by Med1954; 27-06-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Never mind 8 take it all back.... HKU has a more precise definition of dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Dependant visa or PR.. Either case you are considered a local resident.

Email or call the admissions office tomorrow and may be get a more definitive answer.
    Non-local :
    dependant visa / entry permit (for students who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration)

Local:
    -Dependant visa / entry permit (for students who were below 18 years old when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration)

Mhmmm, I guess I should have married my local spouse back when I was still a student before turning 18.

And BTW I checked the official website of other few hong kong universities to see what they define as local/non-local student. Found the same statement word for word in their pages.
    Which seems is an immigration circular statement given to all hong kong universities, not up to the university to decide who is a local or non-ocal student.

Already emailed immigration and some universities to clarify those points.
    Last edited by Med1954; 27-06-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Med1954:
    I ain't asking for public funds, I'm only questioning why as depandant visa holder sponsored by a local hong-kong/Chinese partner I'm not untitled to pay as much as locals when in another scenario the spouse of a hong-kong/Chinese who is mainlander and coming to hk on a way permit is entitled to it.
    One country, two systems. Mainland arrivals can also claim public housing with their spouse when you can't. You know the options that are available to you, we can't do much about it and entering a debate won't change the reality.

The universities all have the same policy because they are all government funded. I imagine one reason dependent visas are excluded are to prevent sham marriages.
    Last edited by aw451; 27-06-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:

The universities all have the same policy because they are all government funded. I imagine one reason dependent visas are excluded are to prevent sham marriages.
    People enter sham/arranged marriages worldwide mainly so they get to settle/work freely. Have yet to come across someone, when asked why he got into a sham marriage and answer (because I want to study and pay tuition fees only as much as locals).

If we follow your reasoning of Immigration wanting to prevent shame marriages, it will be more like:

-Are you on a dependant visa? you want to work then you need to get an employment visa.
    -Are you on a dependant visa? you want to study then you need to get a student visa.
    -Are you on an dependant visa? you want to start your business then you need to get an investment visa....

That policy of being considered as a non-local student when holding a dependant visa, to me is discriminatory.
    Last edited by Med1954; 27-06-2022 at 10:45 PM.