Like Tree2Likes

Broken Washing Machine - repair or not?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Did you speak to the repair services rep and explain what the problem is? Usually they know what the issue is and maybe able to tell you if they have the part and estimate cost.

I have an issue with my oven and have the old free standing range which is harder to service. My original appliance lasted 18 years and I replaced it with a neighbor's 2 years ago. His was 6 years old at the time. I was expecting it to last another 6-7 years but it conked out last week. I booked the repair which is $850 and the repairman called me and asked me what was wrong and assured me had the part and could fix it. Unfortunately, when he replaced the part it was tripping the electricity in the flat and he said we need another circuit something. This part normally costs another $1000 or so but with higher shipping costs will be approx $4K.

So for the time being we've decided to live without an oven and am learning to use my airfryer for baking. Will look into replacing the range before Xmas for turkey-time.
    Ahhhh... the old "it's gonna cost $(amount nearly the cost of a new one) to fix, so would suggest getting a new one actually" trick.

I'm sure some of these "repairmen" get commissions if they get you to buy a new one.

Original Post Deleted
    Well we are thinking of calling this guy over to fix it. But can I just check where you got his contact from and he's a qualified repair person? I'm kinda wary of inviting him round to fix it and I don't even know his name, like it's a complete stranger in other words

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    Well we are thinking of calling this guy over to fix it. But can I just check where you got his contact from and he's a qualified repair person? I'm kinda wary of inviting him round to fix it and I don't even know his name, like it's a complete stranger in other words
    I contacted him a while ago. Callout fee is HK$400 to get a quote for the repair.

I am all in favour of keeping the machine alive as long as possible but decided to just replace the machine as the machine is approaching 10 years old and the bearings need replacing which is usually quite labour intensive and therefore expensive.

Do you know in what way your machine is broken? i.e does it just not start, is it making noise etc

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    I contacted him a while ago. Callout fee is HK$400 to get a quote for the repair.

I am all in favour of keeping the machine alive as long as possible but decided to just replace the machine as the machine is approaching 10 years old and the bearings need replacing which is usually quite labour intensive and therefore expensive.

Do you know in what way your machine is broken? i.e does it just not start, is it making noise etc
    The screen/led lights up but then it just stops. We have noticed it makes a grinding noise when it's off but it's done this for a while without affecting anything. Thanks a lot mate