Like Tree61Likes

Mainland Border with HK "Could Reopen by Aug 4":Health Minister

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by TakeshiT:
    I don't mind quarantine, I just want to be able to travel to China again with a tourist visa...
    Sigh... More Stockholm Syndrome...
    Cheeky Kiwi, Insomnia, HSY and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    And that's just what I find so odd. The measures suggested above aren't restrictions - they barely impact on people's lives. But if they help keep infections down a bit, they're worth doing. The ventilation requirements I think are the really big one - yes it would be a cost to businesses, but as we've seen in HK the super spreading events have often been in poorly ventilated venues. If keeping infections down helps keeps staff absences down then it will pay off in the end.

Of course Covid isn't going away - but this is about mitigation.
    Of course they are restrictions and they impact people's lives in many ways - some quite subtle. Leave the HK bubble for a while and see how much of the rest of the world has moved on. It's a much happier place out there. Much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Of course they are restrictions and they impact people's lives in many ways - some quite subtle. Leave the HK bubble for a while and see how much of the rest of the world has moved on. It's a much happier place out there. Much happier.
    I have, I was overseas for 3 months in the UK and Portugal. I’m also reading recent papers on, for example, the increased risk of health issues that comes with reinfection with Covid. Get on with life - absolutely. Try to reduce the risk of infection without making such large sacrifices that it impacts your quality of life - why not? What exactly is the downside of wearing a mask on packed public transport? Or requiring bars and restaurants to have high standards of ventilation? It’s just about balance.
    orionx999 likes this.

This new health minister.

What drugs is he on? Where can I get some?

Original Post Deleted
    No...that's the upside. You're interested because she has the mask on and looks potentially cute. Mask = sunglasses effect.
    hike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    This new health minister.

What drugs is he on? Where can I get some?
    Beijing.

I have, I was overseas for 3 months in the UK and Portugal. I’m also reading recent papers on, for example, the increased risk of health issues that comes with reinfection with Covid. Get on with life - absolutely. Try to reduce the risk of infection without making such large sacrifices that it impacts your quality of life - why not? What exactly is the downside of wearing a mask on packed public transport? Or requiring bars and restaurants to have high standards of ventilation? It’s just about balance.

I am in Portugal right now and wear mask on public transport. No problem. But that's not what's happening in HK. Masks everywhere. Masks on kids in schools. Daily testing. Vaccine records to eat food. Constant monitoring. Fines. etc. etc. It was only a few weeks back when we were expected to wear masks to go for a run or hike ffs.These things do have a downside, mostly on mental wellbeing. I think we'll see this emerge more in HK over the next few years, especially among children.

And I've not even mentioned the ever present threat of forced quarantine, families being split and more.

If people were dying on the streets, or if the hospitals were full of sick kids, I could maybe understand your argument, but this is not normal or healthy and should not be accepted as such.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I am in Portugal right now and wear mask on public transport. No problem. But that's not what's happening in HK. Masks everywhere. Masks on kids in schools. Daily testing. Vaccine records to eat food. Constant monitoring. Fines. etc. etc. It was only a few weeks back when we were expected to wear masks to go for a run or hike ffs.These things do have a downside, mostly on mental wellbeing. I think we'll see this emerge more in HK over the next few years, especially among children.

And I've not even mentioned the ever present threat of forced quarantine, families being split and more.

If people were dying on the streets, or if the hospitals were full of sick kids, I could maybe understand your argument, but this is not normal or healthy and should not be accepted as such.
    I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m not defending HK’s current arrangements- I’m advocating for a middle ground between the UK and US of doing absolutely nothing, and HK.

I don’t disagree with you at all. I’m not defending HK’s current arrangements- I’m advocating for a middle ground between the UK and US of doing absolutely nothing, and HK.
    Fair enough
    Beanieskis likes this.