Like Tree13Likes

HKID ROA / HRP / 36 month rule / Chinese Nationality / UK Passport

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Makes sense. "settled abroad" doesn't require foreign nationality.

BTW if your parents were CUKCs with right of abode in the UK, then they magically (automatically) turned into British citizens on 1 Jan 1983, just like people born in the UK did.

Sorry - I’ve added the lines below to be clearer. It meant that I am NOT Chinese.

According to Article 5 of the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China (CNL), any person born abroad whose parents are both Chinese nationals or one of whose parents is a Chinese national shall have Chinese nationality; but a person whose parents are both Chinese nationals and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese national and has settled abroad, and who has acquired foreign nationality at birth shall not have Chinese nationality. “

That’s why I was thinking OP confused the computer system with “ the system” .
    Anyway, it’s a good thing she applied for HK passport to get this matter sorted out once and for all.

hike likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Fortunately that can't happen, because the HKID shows the OP was a permanent resident up until handover under the British rules. And therefore by Section 2AAA of the Immigration Ordinance, now has either Right of Abode or Right to Land.

So, no need to worry!
    Sage, qhank, Morrison and 1 others like this.

I thought the 36 months rule applies to all 3* ID holders regardless whether you are born in HK or abroad?