Like Tree14Likes

Decline of the MTR

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Post Deleted
    Certainly not better in terms of cleanliness, space, modern etc - I agree. I was referring to the fact I do not recall events like doors falling off, carriages coming un coupled.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Nope. I can assure you that it was still around post-79.
    British Rail, was a state-owned company that operated most of the overground rail transport in Great Britain from 1948 to 1997
    According to https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-8961/

Following privatisation in 1993, British Rail – a publicly owned company responsible for running the railway – was divided into over 100 separate companies. The private sector became responsible for buying and leasing trains (rolling stock companies), running passenger and freight services (train operating companies and freight operating companies) and managing the infrastructure.

MTR really has gone to shit the last couple years.

Incompetent management and slack recruitment.

Thats what happens when you can live off property developers/government funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    Thats what happens when you can live off property developers/government funding.
    It's always been that way. I don't think that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    It's always been that way. I don't think that's the problem.
    It's a management problem.

Somewhere some process has become lax or some deviation has become normalised and safety margins have been pushed to breaking point. Good engineering management is about monitoring and correcting these deviations, especially as a system ages and the margins naturally narrow.
    Skyhook and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Reliability, being on time etc I would agree MTR is better, but then it is just a small city metro system not a 70 million population national railway. A better comparison would be MTR and the tube.

And, whilst trains are regularly late they you don't tend to hear of doors falling off or cartridges becoming uncoupled.
    56 red lights run on the London underground

https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/l...-passed-danger

Meh, they were all pretty much the same so I lump them all in the old 'British rail' term. I travelled by train fairly extensively up and down - from Glasgow to Oxford/ London, with Manchester and Yorkshire stations in between, up to 2002. You could almost always guarantee that you would miss your connection (usually Crewe) and you'd be waiting on the cold platform hoping that the next one would turn up. Plus all the Saver/ what not ticket permutations.

It took four years for the privatisation process to be completed.

The point, anyway, is that BR was very much active in the 80s and early 90s. We even had the (in)famous ads in the 80s featuring our good friend Jimmy Savile