Like Tree68Likes

Jacinda Arden Resigns...

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    But anyone who is smoking will have bought them illegally. People wont openly and freely offer you a cigarette in a pub as they will not have them to offer.

Smoking will be banned to all intents and purposes.

It still feels a little like gesture politics but hopefully it will work but more people use inhaled Tabaco under Ms Arden's watch.
    That sounds good to me. Hard to know what you are arguing against or for.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That sounds good to me. Hard to know what you are arguing against or for.
    There are many things that should also be done that would have a bigger impact in the short term especially for the working poor who are the main users and her voting base. Inhaled tobacco use went up during her watch.

There are many things that should also be done that would have a bigger impact in the short term especially for the working poor who are the main users and her voting base. Inhaled tobacco use went up during her watch.
    Such as? Increased taxes, banning smoking in public places? What are you suggesting that has not been done already?

Bottom line, will this law decrease smoking? If the answer is yes it is a good law.

Such as? Increased taxes, banning smoking in public places? What are you suggesting that has not been done already?

Bottom line, will this law decrease smoking? If the answer is yes it is a good law.
    - Ban flavoured vaping
    - Gradually restrict the times and location selling of cigarettes' can take place e.g. not after 9:00PM or petrol stations
    - Gradually increase smoke free areas including outside pubs, pedestrians zones, major retail streets, vehicles with minors
    - Reduce pack size to 10
    - Age ID requirements for anyone who looks under 30
    - Gradually reduce maximum nicotine content
    - Gradually increase taxes
    etc

More work but more impactful in the short term.

- Ban flavoured vaping
    - Gradually restrict the times and location selling of cigarettes' can take place e.g. not after 9:00PM or petrol stations
    - Gradually increase smoke free areas including outside pubs, pedestrians zones, major retail streets, vehicles with minors
    - Reduce pack size to 10
    - Age ID requirements for anyone who looks under 30
    - Gradually reduce maximum nicotine content
    - Gradually increase taxes
    etc

More work but more impactful in the short term.
    No. Gradual changes like that don't really work, smoking is an addiction and addicts will find a way round it. You need to stop the addiction in the first place. Given your list or "Arden's law" I think her law will be much more effective.

Whack up taxes in one go, ban smoking in public.
    TheBrit and HK_Katherine like this.

Jacinda is a good person with a good heart. I think she is the most "real" leader I have seen since Obama. Someone who can have simple conversations with and has a general sense of humor. She led NZ in very difficult situations, some situations she did better than others. She's a very young unexperienced leader, and yet, she still managed the best she could. You got to give credit for her trying her best.

I think it's the right time for her to step down. It's clear that what NZ is currently facing (just like everywhere in the world) is quite extraordinary and needs a leader who can bring the next level of economic change and actions required. The "same old same old" economic and country policies won't change anything. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". (Disclosure: I really dislike Grant Robertson and Adrian Orr. They have not done their job and really 'screwed the pooch' by oversteering the NZ economy and overspending causing record domestically caused inflation. And yet, they make so much money in doing something a trained monkey can do).

I wish Jacinda the best and a well deserved break. I hope National/ACT get the next seat and Luxon is the next PM. At the end of the day, I have no favourites, but if I had to choose between Hipkins (Labour), Luxon (National), or ACT (Seymour) to deal with the problems NZ is currently facing..... I would choose Luxon.

I hope he can leverage his decades of business experience to rightsize the situation and bring prosperity, happiness, and hope back to NZ'ers.

No. Gradual changes like that don't really work, smoking is an addiction and addicts will find a way round it. You need to stop the addiction in the first place. Given your list or "Arden's law" I think her law will be much more effective.

Whack up taxes in one go, ban smoking in public.
    You could be right but all evidence I can find clearly suggests otherwise. Perhaps ~14% inhaling tobacco is the right point to start a age rolling prohibition but it still feels very gesturey and much of the hard work left undone.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sit...?itok=fYxoRyT8

You could be right but all evidence I can find clearly suggests otherwise. Perhaps ~14% inhaling tobacco is the right point to start a age rolling prohibition but it still feels very gesturey and much of the hard work left undone.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/sit...?itok=fYxoRyT8
    But you are assuming that is all that has been done. It is not either or.

But you are assuming that is all that has been done. It is not either or.
    Again you could be right but this rolling prohibition was the only law passed with regard to cigarette smoking during her watch. Inhaled tobacco usage went up.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7