Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By huja

Looking for a boarder for my somewhat difficult elderly dog

Closed Thread

Looking for a boarder for my somewhat difficult elderly dog

I'm having trouble finding a dog boarder for my 14-year-old miniature schnauzer. Some of his issues:

- His back legs are a bit weak and he slips on hardwood floors, so floors with a bit more grip, or rugs/carpet, are needed
    - He's almost blind so indoor layouts need to be open, with no steps, and care needs to be taken when walking him
    - He sometimes gets a bit bitey when people try and clean him up (mitigated by his muzzle, but still not for everyone)
    - He pees inside (usually after eating) but that is controlled with diapers
    - He's not great around other dogs. He's boarded with other elderly dogs before and he's ok (after initial barking) but younger dogs full of energy are a no no

Fun eh! He sounds like some decrepit old mutt but he's still quite lively (which combined with the almost-blindness also causes a few issues...)

If anybody knows a boarder who might be suitable please let me know.

Maybe a dog-sitter at your place is better than putting your senior dog in an unfamiliar environment?

This is the person (her name is "Lu") I used many years ago . . . https://www.facebook.com/wywhhk/

Last edited by huja; 02-02-2023 at 11:34 PM.
    zchak and slug like this.

How long do you need a border for?

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Maybe a dog-sitter at your place is better than putting your senior dog in an unfamiliar environment?

This is the person (her name is "Lu") I used many years ago . . . https://www.facebook.com/wywhhk/

Thanks, I've considered it but found other services quite pricey. Do you remember roughly how much this service charges? Also, do they stay 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    How long do you need a border for?
    Anytime from two days to two weeks, depends on my travel plans.

Quote Originally Posted by slug:
    Thanks, I've considered it but found other services quite pricey. Do you remember roughly how much this service charges? Also, do they stay 24 hours?
    I don't recall the cost and it probably wouldn't be useful anyway as it was years ago. Pricey, but please do consider it given how you described your senior dog's health. This is the time when our dogs depend on us the most.