Like Tree49Likes

work visa expires day before 7 years

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

The bigger question is have they changed the way they treating the PR applicants. What was suggested in earlier posts by forumers seem to suggest one can get it based on what you have done, but you failed. So the logical reason could be they decided to be strict going forward..

Quote Originally Posted by richard39:
    "It is noted that you, without renewing/extending your visa, had departed HK on 31 Aug. and re-entered as a visitor...on 1 Sep. As such, you do not have valid residential status in HK on 1 Sep. You are not satisfied to have ordinarily resided in HK for a continuous period of not less than 7 years immediately before the date of this application."
    Sorry to hear this, incredibly harsh!
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    The bigger question is have they changed the way they treating the PR applicants. What was suggested in earlier posts by forumers seem to suggest one can get it based on what you have done, but you failed. So the logical reason could be they decided to be strict going forward..
    Sounds like a very strict interpretation. Seems like everyone needs a valid visa at least up to 7 years, if not beyond. OP could have applied for study visa and activated just before the expiry of their work visa, which also means sinking money into a course that they don't necessarily need. QMAS - that would require 8months++

https://hongkongvisacentre.com/can-i...-in-hong-kong/

It can happen sometimes...
    Anahan likes this.

If you're really bothered about this I'd probably consult a lawyer and see if there's anything you can do.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    almost everyone has a visa expire at / or around seven years. they grant 2 yr, 2 yr, 2 yr, 1 yr (or other combinations) that add up to seven years

the rules are the simplest and clearest, provide documents to show that you have been continuously, ordinary resident for at least 7 years, i.e. 7 years and one day.

small absences for holidays are permitted, but if you took a long unexplained absence, the clock was reset and the seven years would be counted from the date of your return.
    you can basically ask for a more time on your last work visa. I asked for two years instead of one and they gave it to me, I just said I don't know if I will have time to process my PR on time as I'm busy with work. Got it, no question asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    you can basically ask for a more time on your last work visa. I asked for two years instead of one and they gave it to me, I just said I don't know if I will have time to process my PR on time as I'm busy with work. Got it, no question asked.
    Yes I did the same, got 3 years instead of 2 for my last visa.

I had a very similar situation to OP. I asked immigration and they made it very clear that I needed to extend my work visa one more year to ensure I am a resident at the time of application for PR.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6