Air con woes

Closed Thread

Air con woes

Hi

we are moving to a new place with 4 split systems, all probably 10 or so years old.

One has a problem, i’m guessing its the circuit board on the outdoor unit, but General want to charge $800 just to send a guy up to tell me this. Dont even know what they will charge to fix the main unit.

The main units are all on an external ledge and we’re high up, so scaffolding will be needed to do anything, whether to fix or to replace.

Is it worth going down the route of fixing the one unit? I’m guessing it’ll be at least $6k by the time scaffolding, labour and parts are all added up. And thats just to fix one unit - there are 3 more of the same vintage but luckily seems they work ok for now.

Alternatively should I just replace all 4 with one of those multi system ones, with one big unit outside and 4 indoor units? How many hp should we get?

hate dealing with air con issues here in hk….

The 800 will be written off when you confirm to book its repair jobs, right?

Disadvantage of the multi system, if compressor goes down that all four are affected, I was told

compressors last for years, but every unit has PCB, when that fails its not a cheap repair

Don’t get a Multi System. Buy individual split systems unless it’s a necessity to have a multi system.

Most AC will last 10-15 years, if maintained well some could even run for 15-20 years.
    If you’re replacing one unit and you’re factoring the cost of the scaffolding/hassle later, then you might consider replacing all the units now. The other units are 10 years old and could last another 1-10 years. Quite often the outer casting is exposed to the elements hence rusty which could lead to damage to other parts.

Newer models are more efficient and have cheaper running costs.

Check out the Daikin models as these tend to be the most reliable, but also more expensive.

You should check out the slim type split Aircon. Most Japanese brands have it. I used Hitachi.
    Due to its slim size, they might be able to install it without scaffolding through the existing opening.
    Of course they need to send contractor to your place to confirm. The checking fee will be deducted from the later installation fee if u decide to go ahead.
    Definitely worth checking out this possibility.
    Due to the power capacity limitation of the slim type, won't be suitable if your place is very big. My living room is about 500 sf and it's more than adequate, even though the shop said the horsepower is not enough for that room size..
    I can't stand living in a fridge anyway.