Passport expiry and visa

Closed Thread

Passport expiry and visa

HI all

Daughters Australian passport with HK visa needs to be renewed. We have a family trip coming up. She also has Canadian passport. Any issue leaving Hong Kong on the Canadian and then returning to HK as a visitor with the family? The rest of us with have current HK visa. We will then renew the HK visa and pickup Australian passport on our return.

Thanks

Is it not you have to enter and leave HK using same passport?

Renewing a dependent visa is pretty straightforward in Hong Kong. You can do it 4 weeks before the expiry of the existing visa, possibly online, and possibly before the 4 weeks if there is a good reason. My preference would be to try to get the visa renewed before departure - although I understand that you also need to renew the passport.

I agree that you should leave HK on the same passport you entered on (with the visa). I don't see any problem with returning on a different passport besides making things complicated for the next visa.

Any reason why you couldn't renew the visa now with her Canadian passport instead of the Australian one?