cheap tickets to Vancouver

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cheap tickets to Vancouver

ok, i've been feeling terribly homesick lately, so thought i might try for a trip home around mid-October.

tickets seem to have gone up a little. the best price i can find right now is on Air China via PEK. i actually don't mind the stop as i'll be flying with two kids and that puts our departure from PEK in the evening, so kids should sleep most of the trip.

what i'm wondering is this: would it be cheaper to cross the border to SZ, and fly to PEK from there and then onto YVR? or am i making this far too complicated.

money IS an issue as i'm trying to arrange hubby to take a couple of weeks off and join us... i'm having an uphill battle convincing him that we can afford it....

if anyone can offer websites based in china that i could check, i'd appreciate it! thanks

You could look on sites such as elong.net and ctrip.com for flights from Shenzhen (or Guangzhou) to Vancouver, rather than a separate fare from Shenzhen to Beijing, then Beijing to Vancouver.

thanks, tried travelzen and so far they've been the cheapest... will try the others... i've been trying out all kinds of permutations on the trip...

still is a little too rich....

F.A.O. carang:

I have looked this up and have found the following round-trip fares in Hong Kong Dollars per head including taxes/surcharges:

Cathay Pacific: HKD 9,148/-
    Air Canada: HKD 7,638/-
    Zuji (Air China via PEK): HKD 5,762/-
    Travelzen (Depart from HKG, via TPE): HKD 6,999/-
    Travelzen (Depart from Guangzhou, via PEK): HKD 11,256/-

I selected a random 14-day period in October, not the same 14 days for each airline, but the cheapest 14-day period in October with each airline.

Have you considered flying into Seattle? When I wanted to go on holiday to Vancouver (some years back now) I found the flying into the USA and taking the bus over the border was hugely cheaper than a direct flight. Obviously, with your children in tow, it might be a right pain in the &&s too .....

I had a look with Ctrip for you - nothing better than the ones listed above.

Fascinating. I tried Seattle on Zuji - I got the cheapest flight being Air Canada via Vancouver - for HKD7174 incl taxes. Ie cheaper than the direct flight .....[sighs].

thanks, guys.

as i said, i've been playing with dates/flight times, departure point, destination (yes, i tried seattle, too! LOL!)...

was just hoping for something magic.

looks like the air china on zuji/travelzen is about the best deal i'm going to get.

i want to go for a month, and have hubby join us 1/2 way through... still talking him into the whole thing, though.

wish me luck!

Go for it! When was the last time he went to Canada?

I was there this time last month. It is a beautiful country.

P.S. - Just checked Korean Air, and it comes in second cheapest at HKD 6,542/- (tax incl.) but the outbound leg includes a crazy long layover at Incheon (total journey time from HKG - YVR is 36 hours and 25 minutes).

Last edited by Dreadnought; 10-08-2010 at 06:23 PM.

he was last there in 2003 or 2004. can't remember.

nope, no crazy long layovers when travelling with two small kids! LOL! unless of course you want to sit beside us??? LOL!

ps> i'm from there... i know it's a beautiful country... part of what is making me homesick!

well, i think that the best i can do is:

HKG-PEK-YVR return
    2 adults
    2 children

total: $20,284 inc tax etc.

now... anyone willing to donate? just think of the peace and quiet you will have with me gone for A MONTH!!!

for my bank-in details, send me a PM...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast