is macbook good?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I am a die hard PC user and even I have been seduced by the wiles of the Macbook. Its soft, subtle lines that only hint of the pleasures contained within. The tender inviting glow of the apple logo. And when it is spread wide, keys that just beg to clicked. Oh how I yearn to run my finger across the tra...

...right, where were we? Macbook good. Yeah, it's alright.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdicker:
    Hi I do not see the point in VLC for DVDs. As sasid it does have distortion in shots and also i think it is only well suited for VCDs only. As for the rest there ways to actually "crack" you DVD superdrive so it can play all regions but it is very risky and it could permanently damage your DVD drive. I haven't tried it yet because it is still under warranty and i do not want to void it.
    Alex

Some people feel VLC is better quality than DVD Player. I can't see any major differences but you can tweak the picture more in VLC if you want.

There is no rpc1 firmware for the Matshita combo or superdrives in the current Apple line and very little hope that there ever will be. Check rpc1.org. If there is another workaround (other than drive replacement) please share!

I switched to Mac last year. I only wished I'd switched sooner!

Mac OS X is a joy to use, and much much more stable (let alone more advanced) than XP. Prior to that I'd been using Windows 98, and then XP. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OS X never crashes, but extremely rarely in my experience.

VLC or DVD Player? Well, it's down to personal preference I guess, but I prefer VLC. It plays DVD5 much smoother than DVD Player.

One thing I'd like to ask those of you who use Mac is, how good is the aftersales in HK? Is Apple Care/Service Centres as good as they are abroad? Do Authorised Resellers give you as good an aftercare service as an Apple Store?

I have several Macs and have found the after sales excellent though only had to use the Applecover once. I have no experience overseas of Mac after sales but i can't imagine it is much better. All the staff speak good English and have a sense of humour.
    the hotline is also really good if you have any queries about anything.

take the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK:
    Macs might look pretty and all but they are not really business machines.
    This is insulting to Mac users. I've been working on Macs for over 10 years in a business setting. The latest Powerbook now runs on both PC and Mac platforms. Rest assured they look good and run well on both...

Quote Originally Posted by MotoHK:
    What is the all in cost once you factor in all the software add ons which you prob would not need with MSFT's OS? Example, I can get a copy of Office at Wal-Mart Teachers Ed for $99 US. I see not need to spend hundreds of $ porting it into what you can buy. Apples I seem to recall reading have display problems, paint falling off, battery explosions, etc. Like buying a Toyota and porting a real engine such as the Ford V8 into it. If Apples are in such high demand why the convergence to an Intel powered Windows OS?
    Not sure what the 1st couple sentences mean. If you want pc software, it runs on a mac (it runs pc native and mac os). In 10 years I've never had any of the problems you mention. As for power...that's an old myth. Current macs run at least as fast as pcs...Don't understand your resistance to better technolog...

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchingDonkey:
    VLC or DVD Player? Well, it's down to personal preference I guess, but I prefer VLC. It plays DVD5 much smoother than DVD Player.
    Have you gotten past this annoying mac issue? Can you play ALL dvds using VLC. I've found it to be a crap shoot, where all dvds cannot play on it...

Wink My 2 cents

Hi:

Apple has the superior OS and hardware and since you own an iBook already, you know what I'm talking about.

However, I suggest visiting the Apple discussion board to learn all you can to make a more educated decision.

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=218

Before you purchase you new MacBook, do read the threads on this site and see what new owners are saying. Apple discussion board has wealth of information that you definitely will benefit from.

IMHO, I'd wait until April 2007. Why? coz the new OS will be included and all the bugs in the first release will be addressed.

I hope this helps. Take care.

You would wait 7 months to buy a computer just because there is a new OS coming out? Why not buy now and upgrade later?
    7 months!!!

Quote Originally Posted by punk:
    This is insulting to Mac users. I've been working on Macs for over 10 years in a business setting. The latest Powerbook now runs on both PC and Mac platforms. Rest assured they look good and run well on both...
    Punk: I completely agree with you. I wish these people who have little knowledge would stop making idiotic comments like that. I work for a major bank and some of our quant guys specifically requested Macs because of the operating system that allows them to run the models better and faster.