Like Tree1Likes

Best beaches in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tai Long Wan, in Sai Kung

Last edited by bbcchick; 25-08-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Thanks for some the suggestions, i'm going to try and visit some of these beaches when i'm there. Actually, i like the idea of trying to get to some of the inaccessible ones by hiking and/or boat, whereas on the more accessible/popular/touristy ones i'll probably just go for a walk along the beach before sitting in a nearby cafe/bar and have a drink!

I imagine i'll definitely head to some of the islands in the south, as well as Sai Kung.

Any more suggestions, perhaps ones you know that are not very well known to others (or in guide books) and are relatively quiet with nice views/surroundings?

Thanks!

if you set out further, wanshan island 萬山群島 (classed part of Zhuhai province, need to travel from zhuhai, but some are close to Hong Kong) have possibly the best beaches and one of the islands - Miaowan Island has even a coral reef!

Apparently one of the island can even seen from Hk's Po Toi Island on a clear day

Shek O is really nice but I find that when it gets crowded, some parts of the beach become dirty. But it's still a great beach to go with family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo:
    Shek O is really nice but I find that when it gets crowded, some parts of the beach become dirty. But it's still a great beach to go with family and friends.
    Philo, didn't get a chance to thank you for your excellent post on the other thread before it was closed, so doing it now. God bless.

How about the beach near Stanley Market?

The beach at Stanley Market is one of the few beaches i have been to in hong kong and its not great - but its still good that there is at least a beach there, making going to Stanley a decent day trip when you include the market, etc. But i wouldn't recommend going there just for the beach alone.

I've since skimmed through some hong kong guide books, and Shek O sounds quite appealing. I think i'll definitely try and make a day trip there (but not on the weekend)... There's also a beach in Sai Kung that sounds and looks great, although apparently you need to hike for a few hours to get there (or by hiring a boat, which is out of the question for me). I forget the name, i think its on the eastern side - has anyone been there?

Quote Originally Posted by hlfo718:
    How about the beach near Stanley Market?
    Do you mean Stanley Main or St Stephen's?
    I agree they're both okay but not the best. Both are quite small, and wall-to-wall people at weekends even by HK standards.

The one in sai kung..Do you mean the long ke beach? Its really beautiful there i have been there once.

Quote Originally Posted by tifbs:
    There's also a beach in Sai Kung that sounds and looks great, although apparently you need to hike for a few hours to get there (or by hiring a boat, which is out of the question for me).
    If you want the best beaches, you have to be prepared to make an effort. You're probably talking about Tai Long Wan.