Chinese people with English 'names'

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

this is my favorite thread in geo expat history.

Quote Originally Posted by razmo:
    I'm not sure if this name would qualify as English, but I recently meet a nice lady named Pansy Poon.
    I als met a lady with that name, but it was spelled "Pantsy". Another encounter was with "Chanel" and "Miu Miu".

Quote Originally Posted by dicesix:
    I als met a lady with that name, but it was spelled "Pantsy". Another encounter was with "Chanel" and "Miu Miu".
    This shows their obessions with brands.....

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    I'm betting he was from Hong Kong.
    The bloke who answered the phone sounded like a normal Londoner and managed to keep a very straight tone unless he genuinely knew nothing about it.

I have the advert somewhere as I cut it out and scanned it and sent it round some HK folks at the time.

Will see if I can dig it out. Certainly not what you expect to see in the Camden New Journal. Usually it is just 'Teenage Tearaway's Mug OAP' type stuff.

Mind you the article about Pizza Hut and Domino's refusing to deliver to some parts of Camden as their delivery scooters kept being nicked had an element of black humour in it. Poor sodding Pizza Boy, having to walk back to the shop - 'Yep, bike's been nicked again'.

I have another one

I spoke to a lady called 'Cannas' yesterday. I thought she said Candice at first (I notice this is a very popular name for Hongkies) but when she spelled it to me she said C-A-N-N-A-S.

Not sure what inspired that one but it is certainly original.

I just got back from the gym. After my workout, I got one of those vegetarian wrap thingies and was served by a person who had a two-word name. The first name was totally forgettable (I've already forgotten it) but the second name was "darling" (note lower case 'd'). I couldn't be bothered asking her, but I wonder which of the following it was a case of:

1. Her surname was "Darling" and the 'D' wasn't capitalised for some reason. Seems unlikely, they don't normally put surnames on name tags of people serving in shops.

2. She simply was a bit of a "darling" and wanted to let everyone know.

3. She was calling whoever wanted to know her name a "darling". But strictly speaking in that case there should have been a comma between the two words which there wasn't.

4. When the guy who makes the name tags asked her name, she said "<insert boring name here>, darling" and that's what got transcribed...

My aunt's full name is Money Ho. Actually, Money is the English name she gave herself because she didn't like her Chinese name, which was Fun Fun Ho.

lol

I'm having to much fun fun with this thread

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I was introduced to a Marlborough. When I showed confusion, she said "Just like the cigarettes!"

Thank you for my laugh of the day....

There was this mainland chinese company that tried to float on the stock market years back, called go fuk yu and also whilst doing a google search I came across a girl called bunny fuk yu.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=21957611

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast