Broadband allowing multiple PC/laptop simultaneous access

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Broadband allowing multiple PC/laptop simultaneous access

Which ISP provider (Netvigator, HKBN, i-cable, etc.) allows 2 computers to be online at the same time without the extra charge?

I use Netvigator which require to log on with a user ID/pwd. Not sure if I could use the same user account for 2 PCs at home (one for dowloading and one to browse)... anybody know?

Yes, it can be done, either through Internet Connection Sharing or, more easily, by putting a router on the end of your broadband connection. Something like a Linksys WRT54G rouyter gives you four wired connections plus a WiFi network to connect as many machines to as you wish. Cost around HK$500ish.

Jet, a lot of people do this. Just ask here for any and all advice.

got the WRT54G router for 360 HKD at Wanchai computer center, was quite easy to set up, pc and mac, with a netvigator account.
    don't hesitate to ask for tips.

Router indeed.

Got mine because i needed a 'static' ip while using Netvigator.
    Got the Buffallo wifi version

Not to threadjack, but the OP raised an issue that has me concerned. Do all broadband ISP's in HK require you to log-in? A few ISP's in the US used to be that way years ago, but now, everyone is "always on".

Everyone needs to be authenticated and after that we're all 'always on'

Under what circumstances does one need to be authenticated? Do you have to log-in anew everytime you open a browser if you had closed all browser windows earlier? Or is it time-/activity-based?

Quote Originally Posted by Jet:
    Which ISP provider (Netvigator, HKBN, i-cable, etc.) allows 2 computers to be online at the same time without the extra charge?

I use Netvigator which require to log on with a user ID/pwd. Not sure if I could use the same user account for 2 PCs at home (one for dowloading and one to browse)... anybody know?
    You need a router with NAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    Under what circumstances does one need to be authenticated? Do you have to log-in anew everytime you open a browser if you had closed all browser windows earlier? Or is it time-/activity-based?

First connection. If the router does the connection by itself, then the first time you start the router. Then the router wants to have the login details so they can be saved on the router itself.

Doesn't matter you switch off the computer or not, you are always online until you cut the router off.

The router comes between the modem and the PC. If you have only one PC you can go without router. Then you need to provide the login details every time you connect to the ISP. (that is a different program from the browser)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast