Where to start?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Where to start?

Hi

Newbie poster, so please be gentle!

I've accepted an offer to move over to HK (contract not signed etc). If I do sign, I'll be moving around begining of March, so I have a fairly wide window to sort things out before the big move.

I guess I have loads of standard newbie questions. I have looked around the forums and have got a general gist of things and founds loads of useful information, however I still have some and also trying to get some clarification on some stuff.

First of, my annual leave will be 20 days (with 2 personal days as well). Is this about right (coming from the UK where I'm on 25 days leave). I understand there are more public holidays in HK though.

Accomodation. I will have to sort that out. Where to live? How much to spend? I guess these are very opened ended questions. I'm coming over on my own, late 20s. My salary will be c.70K HKD a month and will be working in Central. What sort of properties should I be looking at? My RC said that rent is tax deductable, is this true (never heard of this before so am a bit sceptical).

Bank account. Will probably want a current account, savings account and a credit card. Is it pretty much the same set up as in the UK (i.e. free banking)? Also what would the best way be re money transfers from and back to the UK.

Bills. How much on average on stuff like electricity, gas, phone, broadband, TV, etc be? (I have seen the article on living costs, which was very useful).

Day to day costs. Again on average groceries, toilettaries (sp?), gym etc costs (again seen the article on living costs).

Also re costs. How would people reckon the costs in HK compare to London.

Re visas. I expect my future employer will arrange this for me. However is it a pretty straightforward process (I'm a UK citizen).

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but these are just the ones I can think of at present.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!!!

Last edited by pin; 25-10-2006 at 08:54 PM.

Short note. In HK Saturday morning is working time. You should consider also this when calculate the free days you will have in one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybo:
    Short note. In HK Saturday morning is working time. You should consider also this when calculate the free days you will have in one year.
    Hi

My employer will not expect me to work on the Saturdays, it will be Monday to Friday only.

Pin,

welcome! have a read through this article on cost of living

http://www.geoexpat.com/basics/infor...ng-kong-style/

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Hi

Newbie poster, so please be gentle!

I've accepted an offer to move over to HK (contract not signed etc). If I do sign, I'll be moving around begining of March, so I have a fairly wide window to sort things out before the big move.

I guess I have loads of standard newbie questions. I have looked around the forums and have got a general gist of things and founds loads of useful information, however I still have some and also trying to get some clarification on some stuff.

First of, my annual leave will be 20 days (with 2 personal days as well). Is this about right (coming from the UK where I'm on 25 days leave). I understand there are more public holidays in HK though.

Correct

Accomodation. I will have to sort that out. Where to live? How much to spend? I guess these are very opened ended questions. I'm coming over on my own, late 20s. My salary will be c.70K HKD a month and will be working in Central. What sort of properties should I be looking at? My RC said that rent is tax deductable, is this true (never heard of this before so am a bit sceptical).

Most young singles land up staying in mid-levels - Conduit/Robinson/Caine Road depending on your budget. You should get a decent 2B/R about 700 sq ft gross between 12K to 20K. Actual rent is tax deductible, but the balance is marked up by 10%. It sounds complicated, but it is not.

Bank account. Will probably want a current account, savings account and a credit card. Is it pretty much the same set up as in the UK (i.e. free banking)? Also what would the best way be re money transfers from and back to the UK.

Banking is pretty standard and efficient.

Bills. How much on average on stuff like electricity, gas, phone, broadband, TV, etc be? (I have seen the article on living costs, which was very useful).
    Cost of running a air-con is high. Phone, Broadband, Mobile etc is not expensive, TV is crap

Day to day costs. Again on average groceries, toilettaries (sp?), gym etc costs (again seen the article on living costs).

Also re costs. How would people reckon the costs in HK compare to London.

London is pretty expensive. Food and booze may be higher in HK, rest are not. Transport is mega cheap in comparison.

Re visas. I expect my future employer will arrange this for me. However is it a pretty straightforward process (I'm a UK citizen).

It is a straight forward process

I'm sure I will have many more questions, but these are just the ones I can think of at present.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!!!
    Hope this helps... Overall 70K is pretty comfortable with some to spare for one person living alone - obviously it depends upon what you are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Hi Pin,

Same boat as you except moving out Jan. I got my standard UK 25 days hols and UK bank hols, but I can use them as additional hols and am not expected to take them on their actual days. I get Sat / Sun off as well. But I'll still be an employee of our UK company, not of a HK company

Hi guys

Thanks a lot for all your replies, it lays to rest some of my major initial concerns.

I have read http://www.geoexpat.com/basics/infor...ng-kong-style/ and from what it seems overall the costs are a bit cheaper than London. Now am I being niave (sp?) there?

Really looking forward to it!!

Hi pin

Can't say about London, but I moved from Edinburgh and I'm paying about the same in rent for about the same size (little smaller but an extra bedroom). I have a pretty low budget for rent though.

Drinking here is very expensive and I think that's partly becuase I go out a lot more than I did at home due to the lifestyle and wanting to meet ppl (and crap TV!). Pint/glass of wine from GBP2.00 (happy hour) up to GBP4.50 (and probably beyond)

Food is inexpensive compared with UK. To be honest, I haven't found many things significantly more expensive than Edinburgh. I'd say equal or less as a general rule of thumb. To sum it up, I'm earning a similar salary to my UK salary and I feel better off (no car, no council tax, lower income tax etc)

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    Hi pin

Can't say about London, but I moved from Edinburgh and I'm paying about the same in rent for about the same size (little smaller but an extra bedroom). I have a pretty low budget for rent though.

Drinking here is very expensive and I think that's partly becuase I go out a lot more than I did at home due to the lifestyle and wanting to meet ppl (and crap TV!). Pint/glass of wine from GBP2.00 (happy hour) up to GBP4.50 (and probably beyond)

Food is inexpensive compared with UK. To be honest, I haven't found many things significantly more expensive than Edinburgh. I'd say equal or less as a general rule of thumb. To sum it up, I'm earning a similar salary to my UK salary and I feel better off (no car, no council tax, lower income tax etc)
    Hi

Thanks for that. I see you live in Kennedy Town, how do you find living there? It seems to be a cheaper alternative to Mid Levels.

My rent at present (where I live) is c.£700 a month for a small one bed (and a living/dining/kitchen area as another room). I'm budgetting about c.£1,000 if I move to HK.

However at the same time I'll be getting quite a big bump in salary (c. 25% increase), but don't want to burn all my salary!!

Thanks for that. I see you live in Kennedy Town, how do you find living there? It seems to be a cheaper alternative to Mid Levels.

My rent at present (where I live) is c.£700 a month for a small one bed (and a living/dining/kitchen area as another room). I'm budgetting about c.£1,000 if I move to HK.

However at the same time I'll be getting quite a big bump in salary (c. 25% increase), but don't want to burn all my salary!!
    I like KT because it's a cheap place to live on the Island and has good links to central and the other busier spots. There's not much in the way of nighlife here in respects to bars. Not a lot of expats generally but some. Check out our little KT community website to ask other KTers about rents etc (Manhattan and Merton are the most popular spots) http://www.kennedytown.info

I think you'd get a decent place for the amount you're suggesting in KT. Apparently it's 'up and coming!'

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast