Hiking trail recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Hiking trail recommendations?

I am not a frequent hiker but when I go hiking, I prefer to do it in a good steady pace to which it sort of putting a little challenge on myself.

Anyway, me and a friend of mine would like to go hiking over at Mui Wo, the big buddha area. Would like to get some of your advices or information on trails in that area.

'Tis the season for hiking!!!!

cheers,
    N

There's a nice easy hike from Mui Wo to Pui O. Takes about 3 hours I think and there are some good food places at the end for a cold Tsing Tao and some energy!

A nice hike is also from Tung Fuk around the south-west end of Lantau to Tai O. Take the bus from Mui Wo to Tung Fuk. The hike starts behind the prison, but before the bus goes up to the Buddha.

Very challenging are Lantau Peak and Sunset Peak, especially if done on one day.

An easy walk is between Discobay and Mui Wo, if you use one of the two popular trails. If you deviate from them it will take longer and is more challenging, or outright dangerous.

Then there was something called "Frog & Toad" but I don't know whether it still exists.

Last edited by Expatriate; 31-10-2006 at 02:56 PM.

Hiking, go to the Nature with fun!

Lantau is one of the most enchanting hiking place to go. check this out:

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/parks/trails/...king/index.htm

the government has put everything abt hiking online, which you could also have a book with you.

I am a frequent hiker, and am actually intending to join some hiking groups. if you are interested, let me know, or contact me in person. I have all the hiking maps when I worked for the government as a hiking teacher.

Hiking on Nov 26

Quote Originally Posted by kwailam:
    Lantau is one of the most enchanting hiking place to go. check this out:

http://www.afcd.gov.hk/parks/trails/...king/index.htm

the government has put everything abt hiking online, which you could also have a book with you.

I am a frequent hiker, and am actually intending to join some hiking groups. if you are interested, let me know, or contact me in person. I have all the hiking maps when I worked for the government as a hiking teacher.
    Glad to have you in the team KL!
    my friends and I wanna do one on the 26th Nov, somewhere starting from mui wo and end at the buddha... let's discuss more later as i will be outta town this weekend and back by next week.

cheers,
    N

Useful Sites

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    THX Katanga, you're right! the Roz's page is very helpful. so do you wanna join a lautau one on Nov 26th?

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by niccy:
    Glad to have you in the team KL!
    my friends and I wanna do one on the 26th Nov, somewhere starting from mui wo and end at the buddha...
    You need to be aware that for someone who claims not to be a frequent hiker the obvious route from Mui Wo to the Buddha may prove too much of a challenge. If you take the Lantau Trail over Sunset Peak and Lantau Peak you should allow at least 5 hours (the AFCD site here: http://www.afcd.gov.hk/parks/trails/...ail/ltrail.htm says 5.75 hours), take the correct maps, lots of liquids and the right clothing and equipment; and go with people who know what they are doing. This is serious hiking: 13.5km over two 3000' hills. I once found a couple on Lantau Peak who were hopelessly ill-prepared, and the girl had collapsed with heat exhaustion and dehydration. Do not undertake this hike lightly.
    Last edited by PDLM; 07-11-2006 at 01:20 PM.

I hiked for the first time last Sunday and what we did was take that Ping (sky cable car) to the Big Buddah and then hiked back. The path is called the Wisdom Path and it basically takes you straight down back to MTR station. It took about three hours and the first two hours were directly down hill. It was really beautiful with great views and you pass a lot of Temples and Monks fielding and stuff, very tranquil. You wouldn't think a downhill hike would be a workout, but the next day I had muscles hurting that I didn't know existed. Make sure to bring water and a partner since I didn't see another soul on the path.

Anyone know of any good hiking by Shek-O?

what about somewhere to hike alone?
    i'd really enjoy having some nice communing with nature alone time (as it seems like in hk you're always with a gajillion people)... i know that solo hiking can be risky, so where could one go alone and be safe?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast