Like Tree5Likes

Non Stick cookingware

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    said true! and I am too clumsy to be careful with nonstick cookware.
    I like to use metal cooking utensils. I also use wood a lot, which is not an issue, but I don't want to have to think about it. Same thing with cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    It's pricey, but it will last for ever if you don't abuse it. You do have to learn to cook differently on it though - you lose some of the instantaneous control that you have on, for example, copper-bottomed stainless steel.
    He's right - and it's not for the impatient! You have to let it warm up slowly and cool down slowly or the surface starts to crack (which is what happened to my first one before I read the instructions!). And it weighs a ton. But it looks lovely. I tend not to use mine these days and went back to my tefal frypan ... simpler and just as effective!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    But it looks lovely.
    Right, you are buying it for the colors. An expensive decoration. You can display all the Le Creuset right next to the Viking double-stove.

If you travel, you can also get enamelled cast iron (basically what Le Creuset is) in Target in the US for about $30 a pot.

I'm not quite sure if there's something more than branding to Le Creuset to justify it's pricing, but I rather suspect not. Cast iron and enamel have been around for centuries so it can't be rocket science.

The only downside of getting it from, say, Target, is lugging the stuff back.

I wonder if our time-cousins back a few hundred years would be surprised to hear we are still using cast iron in this day and age.

(no offence to cast iron cookwear, i love it)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I wonder if our time-cousins back a few hundred years would be surprised to hear we are still using cast iron in this day and age.

(no offence to cast iron cookwear, i love it)
    I bet they would be shocked. All that progress and technology and still cooking out of cast iron. Could it be that cookware peaked that long ago? Even the enameled cast iron comes from the 1800s.

At least we've come quite some way in terms of applying heat to our cooking equipment, e.g. induction, Charles Dickens didn't see that one coming!

I'm looking for a less expensive enamel cast iron dutch oven (similar to la creuset or martha stewart). Does anyone know where/if they sell the martha stewart line or something similar?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABC2HK:
    I'm looking for a less expensive enamel cast iron dutch oven (similar to la creuset or martha stewart). Does anyone know where/if they sell the martha stewart line or something similar?? Thanks
    Pantry Magic Pantry Magic Hong Kong Home carries their own line of enamelware which is priced less then LeCruset
    ABC2HK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I only use stainless steel, glass and wood in the kitchen. I would like a cast iron wok though. They're easier to work with than stainless, and they get 'seasoned' with use. Using a traditional-style wok is kind of fun too.
    Try using a black steel wok, they are the best and the cheapest @ 45hkd. A cast iron wok is too heavy and an stainless steel wok cannot be seasoned.