Like Tree7Likes

Buyers beware: Think twice before buying anything from Samsung

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Buyers beware: Think twice before buying anything from Samsung

Last Christmas, I received a Samsung cell phone as gift. It came with a warranty card that asked me to enter my contact information, the product’s model number, serial number … etc. I could not know where I bought the phone, and wrote gift on the box that asked me where I bought the phone.

My bad dream began a few weeks ago when I took the phone to Samsung’s Hong Kong agent for repair. They insisted to see a receipt of the purchase if I wanted free warranty service. If not, then I must pay them $1,500.

I tried explaining to the Samsung agent that the phone was a gift. It would be embarrassing for me to ask the person who gave me the phone to get me a receipt. This person already left Hong Kong. It’s unlikely that he would still have the receipt. He probably couldn’t even remember where he bought the phone. Unfortunately, the Samsung agent insisted that it’s either paper receipt or no free service.

Receipts are nothing but a record that confirms information about the payment of goods and services actually takes place. When we lived at an analog age, receipts were in paper. We now live in a digital age. There is no excuse that Samsung cannot retrieve a digital record of the purchase of my cell phone. I can only conclude that:

· The global brand that Samsung aspire is a sham,

· Samsung do not expect people buy their products as gifts, in which case they should put a warning sign on their products,

· The agent Samsung use in Hong Kong has a dirty deal going on with their principles to keep a backward operation at the expense of consumers, or

· The warranty card is a purely a ploy to for Samsung to send me junk mail. The last thing in Samsung’s mind is to give customers a decent after-sales service.

I own appliances by Sony, Philips, Lenovo, Buffalo, HP … etc. When I call them for service, the only information they want is the phone number I put on the warranty cards.

You do seem to be remarkably adept at breaking things if you require warranty service so often. Maybe word has got round?

shri likes this.

Why do people think anyone would take notice of someone who's only purpose in life is to sign up here to dump on someone else?

I sympathise with you. Having said that Samsung is probably the first brand for phones and laptops and tvs that have never let me down. I practically own only Samsung poducts. As my wife keeps reminding me that I am not good at taking care of such things its remarkable how these products have been top notch and haven't broken down. I know your gripe is really about the customer service side of things but I would be prepared to look past that given the quality of the brand in my experience. p.s. I don't work for Samsung.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Loz_2; 01-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.

robertyih:

Did you try to talk to the manager of the place or did you go on to SamSung's website to file a complaint? I am sure that there must be thousands upon thousands of SamSung products being given away as Christmas, birthday, anniversary gifts in Hong Kong......are those warranties no good also due to the lack of a receipt?

When I give a gift of anything electronic I always give the receipt to the recipient. It's quite common to require the receipt for warranty repair. Everyone knows the value of items so I don't see anything embarrassing, just as most everyone knows you will need a receipt for warranty repairs.

Football16 likes this.

Without a receipt, there is no way to know when the product was bought, hence the problem with the warranty, even when you fill out the warranty card, because filling out the card does not mean anything, people can fill out the card at any time. In most countries filling out the warranty is not required only the receipt is necessary for warranty work.

Football16 likes this.

Same mobiles are sold to many different countries at different prices. Brokers/traders use the difference in pricing to bring them in from one country to another and pocket the difference in the market rates....

There is so many grey and parallel imports in HK that service enters have to cover their arse and ensure they are not fixing a phone that was bought in another country. I think Samsung guy did the right thing.

Football16 likes this.

I'd be p----d too but these guys are right. Maybe the local repairer needs this information for Samsung or they will be shafted too.

The gift receipt is so common as it does not have the price on it but allows the person to get warranty or change it if they need to as it might come defective.

And, why does Boris never miss a chance to dump on someone????

This is good information for all. Maybe others now will know what to do if they get or give something like this in future.

It is not like a first post trashing a local business where maybe some questioning of the motives of the poster is reasonable.

Last edited by Football16; 03-11-2010 at 11:24 AM.

best to suss, guess. figure out samsung top management email address ( take a few goes,ie, bounce back but if you get it right, you will get excellent CS if you target the CEO, CFO, GM, etc within 24 hrs), write a complaint email in a polite manner does the trick!

Football16 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast