Like Tree1Likes

Web Design Business in Hong Kong -- Feasible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Web Design Business in Hong Kong -- Feasible?

Hello,

I'm an American who currently lives in Taipei. Each time I've visited Hong Kong, I just feel "wow, this is my kind of place!" I'm a web designer and developer, working solo on most projects for clients in the US.

Working solo all the time gets pretty frustrating, and I'd love to hire 2 others part-time, and have a small office for us in Hong Kong. I've looked at some office rentals online, and it seems that decent spaces around Central can be had for around $10k HKD.

Does anyone know what the web design community is like in Hong Kong, or how feasible it is to find Hong Kong clients? Also, what are fair hourly rates for designers and programmers with 2-3 years of experience? I want to feel "local," if that makes any sense...doing work for NYC clients all the time means lots of phone calls at odd hours.

Anything else I'm forgetting that would be helpful is also appreciated -- setup costs, taxes, visa issues, etc. Thanks!

What sort of visa do you have to stay in Taiwan now?

60-day extendable visitor visa.

There are many web designers, the quality varies but some are very good and are as cheap as chips.

There is a meetup in a few weeks (I think the 28th of July) of many in the digital industry.

Web Wednesday - Hong Kong

There is also a huge startup meeting the first week of August.

STARTUP SATURDAY HONG KONG 2010

How feasible? You're going to have visa issues. You'll need a work visa to do what you are doing, even if the clients are in the USA. Coming over on visitor visas and 'topping up' by going over to Macau or the mainland won't work in the long run.

Overall the market is mixed. There are plenty of developers who will work for peanuts. If you have clients and steady workload over the future you might make a go of it. If you are out on the market looking for new customers you'll find the competition pretty rough.

jhoge likes this.

Is there any visa issues if i am given work permit for client A.
    and i am getting paid for some freelance work for client B..

Thanks for the links, penguinsix. Even if opening an office is too much hassle, I'd definitely like to check out these kinds of events.

Can I incorporate in Hong Kong, and hire myself to get a work visa?...or is that not how things work...

Quote Originally Posted by maddy007:
    Is there any visa issues if i am given work permit for client A.
    and i am getting paid for some freelance work for client B..
    Yes, it is illegal.

I too am in the field of web design and development - mainly frontend though. Although i haven't myself considered the web design business route, i would suggest building a large network of contacts and clients. Maybe touch base with the clients you've done work for.

Of course, this is also valuable if you're going down the freelance route instead. I've only done a little freelance before but even then i found a lot of my time was spent chasing up for work (and admin stuff!).

Sorry i can't help with your original post, but if thats your dream - i can only imagine how cool it'll be to start your own funky web design business (what would you call it?!)! - then do some more research and good luck to you!

The design community in HK is saturated with designers of all sort and many of them are incompetent.

A simple 5 page with CMS can earn you from HK$20k to 30k. If you can do 2 of these projects in a month, that's some pretty decent earnings. But remember, you can't live in your office.

Stay in Kowloon or NT but rent an office space on the island. Then slowly work your way up.

And an advice, do not woo chinese clients. Go for expats.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast