moving homes within HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

moving homes within HK

I am moving houses within the same area in HK and need some information. Planning to pack the stuff on my own and hire a van to transport the stuff for me.

Where can I buy cardboard boxes to pack my stuff in ?

Any suggestions on how to move the TV ?

Thanks

Puneet

Don't even think about it - call some movers. Not very expensive and worth every penny. I'll send you details of the company i just used when I've got more time.

Personally, I've always used professional movers because of all the stuff I've horded. You could try the supermarkets for unwanted boxes or buy them from the Post Office or stationers. I watched my movers bubble wrap my 29 inch tv before covering it with a blanket then he (yes one guy) picked it up and took it out to the van.

Last edited by discobay; 05-02-2007 at 08:20 AM.

If you hire movers, they will give you the boxes a week before if you want to do the packing. We moved within Mid-Levels a few years ago and the cost was around $2K and they did all the packing. It would have been a few hundred less if we had packed

I just moved from Central to New Territories, both apartments with lifts but on high floors. Hired a moving company and the whole thing took about 3.5 hours and cost $3,200. We have a 3bdrm place that was full - about 15 pieces of furniture and 30 boxes of stuff I think. 4 pieces of furniture had to be dismantled and reconstructed at the other end. We packed all our stuff into the boxes they delivered before the move except the kitchen - I left that to them to pack. Not a single thing was lost, damaged or broken.

We put all our stuff into storage before moving to HK and it took a week to do. Never again will I try and move myself.

I highly recommend the company we used and chose them after someone else recommended them on this site. They were quick with the communication, quote by the piece (I sent them pictures and estimated the number of boxes) and the guys on the day were an hour late but all go once they arrived.

The website of the company we used was http://www.ika.com.hk/index.html

Why not get a quote just to see if it is much more than the cost of the van rental and the hassle of sourcing the boxes.

Last edited by larac; 05-02-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks Larac.

I have contacted them and will share my feedback. Fingers crossed since this is the first time I am moving apartments !

moving company

Hi people. I'm going to move with the help of IKA next week if no one else has anything negative to say. ANY LAST ADVICE?

Wish me luck then.

Larac,
    They were an hour late? I hope they won't be next week.

Yes they rang to confirm the time the day before but on the day they didn't show. Just when I was about to call them they rang and said they would be like another hour and I said no way - you were supposed to be here already you have to come now and they did. I had trades people lined up for the new place and needed to get there by a certain time so couldn't wait any longer. Maybe their morning job was bigger than they realised - maybe book the first slot of the day to avoid this. If you are packing make sure you are ready when they arrive - once there are there it is all action and you just have to stay out of the way - no time for you to pack a single thing more. Despite being late I still highly recommend them everything else was perfect.

How about tipping? How much should I tip the people? Tipping is just the thing I hate the most. By the way, how many people showed up at your door?

just tip if you think they're worth it, If they charge me $90 then I just give them $100 and tell them to keep the charge.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast