Like Tree7Likes

International Schools

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

International Schools

My family and I are moving to Hong Kong in june,I am english my wife is hong kong chinese and wants to return home. Could anybody recommend any int primary schools starting y2, looking at the forums it's not going to be easy?

Thanks

Last edited by herod; 30-12-2010 at 03:49 AM.

The school year starts around August at most schools here. But my kids go to the Australian school which is an exception (Jan - Dec year).

If you want to enrol your kid in y2 starting August, you better apply at many schools now. Already you are very late. I dont think you can be very picky in asking people here for recommendations. Just apply to all of them. Although you should note many int schools have a fee to join the waiting list. In Aus school, it was around HK$2K from memory.

ESF schools are the most economical since they are govt subsidied. But you may need to show you live in their 'catchment area' before you can even apply to these schools which is something that pissed me off when I was enquiring. These schools dont listen to common sense and my argument that 'I am moving to HK and will live in your area if you accept my kid' just falls on deaf ears. I think because they are so oversubscribed that they just dont give a damn and they are happy to scrub you off their waiting list.

You need to start your applications for the Fall IMMEDIATELY as you are already behind. Most of the schools are currently interviewing/assessing students for entry next Fall, and you need to get this process started, even if you don't live here, by getting some applications into the schools. You won't have the option of being picky your first year--any port in a storm basically.

Google and download the applications.

HK International
    German Swiss
    Canadian
    French
    Australian

Independent Schools Foundation *
    Chinese International School *
    Singapore International School *

(* those three teach some level of Mandarin immersion)

Totally agreed. For some popular international schools like the one in Discovery Bay, some parents start to apply for primary even when their kids are about to enter the kindergarten school! Look at the ones in New Territies like Shatin, Ma On Shan and Taipo if those in more central and traditional areas (such as central, southern and eastern districts of HK island and Kowloon Tong in KLN) are not available. I heard Renaissance College of ESF in Ma On Shan near my place was not bad. Some parents moved here in order to get into the school. Here is a list on the government website. Good luck. http://www.csb.gov.hk/english/admin/...s/intelsch.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The school year starts around August at most schools here. But my kids go to the Australian school which is an exception (Jan - Dec year).

If you want to enrol your kid in y2 starting August, you better apply at many schools now. Already you are very late. I dont think you can be very picky in asking people here for recommendations. Just apply to all of them. Although you should note many int schools have a fee to join the waiting list. In Aus school, it was around HK$2K from memory.

ESF schools are the most economical since they are govt subsidied. But you may need to show you live in their 'catchment area' before you can even apply to these schools which is something that pissed me off when I was enquiring. These schools dont listen to common sense and my argument that 'I am moving to HK and will live in your area if you accept my kid' just falls on deaf ears. I think because they are so oversubscribed that they just dont give a damn and they are happy to scrub you off their waiting list.

Can't agree more with bdw's comment. For some popular international schools like the one in Discovery Bay, some parents start to apply for the primary even when their kids are about to enter the kindergarten school! Look at the ones in New Territies like Shatin, Ma On Shan and Taipo if those in more central and traditional areas (such as central, southern and eastern districts of HK island and Kowloon Tong in KLN) are not available. I heard Renaissance College of ESF in Ma On Shan near my place was not bad. Some parents moved here in order to get into the school. You may check on hk government's website for a list of international schools.
    Last edited by glacier2011; 07-01-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    But you may need to show you live in their 'catchment area' before you can even apply to these schools which is something that pissed me off when I was enquiring. These schools dont listen to common sense and my argument that 'I am moving to HK and will live in your area if you accept my kid' just falls on deaf ears. I think because they are so oversubscribed that they just dont give a damn and they are happy to scrub you off their waiting list.
    Not as pissed off as I'd be if someone got in ahead of my kid based on, 'I'll move there if you accept me' had I already been living in the catchment. That has to be one of the dumbest comments I've read on here for ages. They are oversubscribed with people who already live here, what, they should bump someone else off for your kids should they?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Not as pissed off as I'd be if someone got in ahead of my kid based on, 'I'll move there if you accept me' had I already been living in the catchment. That has to be one of the dumbest comments I've read on here for ages. They are oversubscribed with people who already live here, what, they should bump someone else off for your kids should they?
    Conversely why should a parent happy to move heaven and earth (or at least house) to get into a school be disadvantaged against someone who just happened by chance to live in the area.

kiangsu & chekiang international school
    japanese international school
    norwegian international school
    korean international school
    Hong Lok Yuen International school
    all of these schools have an "international" stream which is taught in english

you could also consider a local gov't school that is designated as a school for non-chinese speaking children. this is the route we have decided for our kids. we live in sai kung and there is a nice school right on the waterfront that has this designation. the fees are free. the language of the classes are chosen by the parents. ie) chinese language is either cantonese or mandarin; mathematics is either cantonese or english etc.

bryant.english likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Conversely why should a parent happy to move heaven and earth (or at least house) to get into a school be disadvantaged against someone who just happened by chance to live in the area.
    Can't even be bothered to explain the incredibly nose on your face obvious...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    You perhaps misunderstood my comment (or I did not explain clearly). I am not suggesting that someone be bumped up ahead of anyone else. But what I am trying to say is that the schools will not even put you on the waiting list AT ALL (at the end of the list) if you do not live in the area at the time of joining the waiting list.

I called Clearwater Bay ESF and asked to join the waiting list. They said "Do you live in CWB". I said "No I do not live in HK but I am looking around at different schools for my kid and areas to live at the same time. Once a school accepts me, I will be sure to move to that area". Their reply was "Sorry but you cannot join our waiting list".

So did you misunderstand my post (which is fair enough) or are you one of these dumbass school administrator knuckleheads who lacks complete common sense?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast