Like Tree10Likes

What to buy before coming to Hong Kong??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What to buy before coming to Hong Kong??

My partner and I are moving to HK in April (from the UK) and while I am comfortable with the "to do list" I wonder what we should buy over here before moving or make sure we have when we move.

We were in HK in September and it seemed like there was nothing you could not buy but I am sure there are some things (big or small) expats would suggest I stock up on before coming over. The company is paying for our relocation so we do have this advantage too.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey, I have just moved here from London and like you guys had everything sorted by the company.

So here is a fresh "should have got this" or "thank God I got this" list for you. Hope this helps!!

A 46" 3D LCD TV: sounds bizzare but Amazon sells it for £950 but the price tag over here has varied from HKD $15000 - $28800!! the HK prices don't include the pair of 3D glasses which we got as a deal either.
    - I saw an airer for HKD $350 in Mei Foo, which is a local place so shouldn't be a rip off price tag... Buy one and ship it over!
    - ironing board: I am glad I've got it shipped as the one I am using now in the serviced apartment is quite low and I am 5 ft 5.

I wish I had brought some Yorkshire tea bags, a big jar of Marmite (HKD $58?!) not hugely expensive but thought I'd add. You can't ship these but bring them in your suitcases. Also use your allowance of 1 bottle of wine each and get some really nice wine if you like a nice drop when you get here.

Lastly, own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen which are only 20p each back in London.

Also, remember the electricity/plugs are exactly the same here, so don't worry about gettig rid of things, since you can ship them all you might as well, instead of throwing more stuff to the tip!

Feel free to PM me if you want to pick on my brain

Good luck!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Kungfu chef; 16-01-2011 at 11:41 PM.

P.s. I have sent you a PM
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hi,

Are you bringing your stuff in a shipping container? If so, bring an oven. Most western style kitchen appliances are more expensive here, microwaves, kettles, toasters and so on!

Cheese slicer, bread knife and most importantly of all, a potato masher!!

Not everyone's thing but I have had my power tools sent over from the UK since I've been here. Decent tools are very expensive here.

If my company was paying for my relocation I would bring virtually everything to be honest!! Like most new places, Hong Kong can be tough to navigate at first, you're going to have enough on your plate setting up accounts, changing licence, settling in at work, etc, etc, etc.

All the best!

Last edited by bryant.english; 17-01-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Potato Masher

....on the subject of potato mashers, I highly recommend the 'Smasher' by Joseph Joseph, second only to a ricer in terms of smooth potatoes!

JJ have some really great kitchen utensils and I got a few things from G.O.D. about a year ago, not sure if they still carry any of the range, though.

I think our resident immigration expert (PDLM) will be along in a short while to question your visa status!!

virago and bryant.english like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Gavelina, how about letting us know what you can't possibly live without and we'll tell you whether you can get it here?

its partly true to bring everything you have because someone else is paying for it. At the same time, a lot of people got fired in 2008/2009 and had to lug their stuff home on their own expense.

I wish I had brought a small chest freezer with me. They only sell combinations fridge freezers here and I have missed having the option to buy some bulk food when holidays and the kids approach. Of course you need an apartment big enough - but I use the maids kennel as a small office and storage for all my appliance boxes (I plan to take back the other-way).
    I wish I had bought central heating with me

definitly all electrical items limited choice here and very very expensive compare to uk. also if you have children i would get most things from uk as its much ore expensive here....also colour run sheets havent found them here at all if you use them. also pm me if you want more info .

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast