Like Tree10Likes

What to buy before coming to Hong Kong??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

A potato washer!!! Really!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    A potato washer!!! Really!
    A visit to the optician is in order - potato masher. (you can get them here anyway).

If you or your partner have larger feet, I would suggest making sure you have shoes, especially for sports, hiking etc. as they can be difficult to track down for larger sizes. For men anything over UK size 10 gets tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by lalila:
    definitly all electrical items limited choice here and very very expensive compare to uk. also if you have children i would get most things from uk as its much ore expensive here....also colour run sheets havent found them here at all if you use them. also pm me if you want more info .
    Not children's clothes, they are much cheaper here.

You can get almost every household item here - some as noted above might be more expensive. Clothes are another matter - if you are large, or have a big bust, or especially if you have big feet (or are a westerner with averaged sized any of the above!) then stock up on clothes and shoes! They are hard to find here.

Stock up also on favourite toileteries (some brands are hard to find); things like favourite snacks (you can get twiglets here but they are expensive) ... just to keep you going until you find your feet.

If you are keen on low-fat items, bring them! Diet-anything is now much harder to get because of a bizarre ruling on labelling by the gov't last year.

What I buy overseas: Bread mix, lactose-free cow's milk, diet-salad cream, twiglets, Reach flossers, shoes of all types, bras of all types, many of my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfu chef:
    Hey, I have just moved here from London and like you guys had everything sorted by the company.

So here is a fresh "should have got this" or "thank God I got this" list for you. Hope this helps!!

A 46" 3D LCD TV: sounds bizzare but Amazon sells it for £950 but the price tag over here has varied from HKD $15000 - $28800!! the HK prices don't include the pair of 3D glasses which we got as a deal either.
    - I saw an airer for HKD $350 in Mei Foo, which is a local place so shouldn't be a rip off price tag... Buy one and ship it over!
    - ironing board: I am glad I've got it shipped as the one I am using now in the serviced apartment is quite low and I am 5 ft 5.

I wish I had brought some Yorkshire tea bags, a big jar of Marmite (HKD $58?!) not hugely expensive but thought I'd add. You can't ship these but bring them in your suitcases. Also use your allowance of 1 bottle of wine each and get some really nice wine if you like a nice drop when you get here.

Lastly, own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen which are only 20p each back in London.

Also, remember the electricity/plugs are exactly the same here, so don't worry about gettig rid of things, since you can ship them all you might as well, instead of throwing more stuff to the tip!

Feel free to PM me if you want to pick on my brain

Good luck!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    problem about tv is that uk digital tv system is DVB-T and it's new ver - Freeview HD, but hk is using the chinese system, DMBT, so free 12 digital channel will require a set top box for a uk tv.

plus the price of shipping it with a relocation at around 1000gbp plus insurance.

same tv cost HK$13,099 ( fortress price will be at HK$14600) in independent store.

Samsung LA46C750 - LCD TV - 家庭影音 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

so it worth shipping? or the op needs to ask if the relocation is covered by his/her company and how long will you stay in hk, if longer than a two years, then a hk ver will be better option.

If you have big boobs then stock up on larger size underwear! I always stock up when I go back.

Quote Originally Posted by lalila:
    definitly all electrical items limited choice here and very very expensive compare to uk. also if you have children i would get most things from uk as its much ore expensive here....also colour run sheets havent found them here at all if you use them. also pm me if you want more info .
    Which electrical items have limited choice here and are very expensive compared to the UK of all places? Where have you looked and which items? TVs? Toasters? Shavers? Stereos? Computers? Something else? Do we live in the same place, I've never had a problem with the cost of electrical items here compared to the UK?
    bak875 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Which electrical items have limited choice here and are very expensive compared to the UK of all places? Where have you looked and which items? TVs? Toasters? Shavers? Stereos? Computers? Something else? Do we live in the same place, I've never had a problem with the cost of electrical items here compared to the UK?
    And I was struggling with the children's things. English language books perhaps. Can't think of anything else that would be more expensive here.

If you're the 'average' western female size, then I'd advise stocking up on decent sized/properly fitting underwear as the brands here are more expensive that back in the UK. Also, shoes, if you have larger or wide feet. Even though I have bought some cheapies at the markets,I found that the shoes here are more expensive than when I lived in the UK. I wish that I had stocked up on bedlinen, good quality stuff as I soon found that the 'king' and 'queen' sized bedclothes differ greatly here. Also, electrical /kitchen goods - HK uses the UK plug hole so I would buy the good quality brands that you know and like from the UK, or, how my husband and I found last weekend, face lots of cheaper and not so well known brands ( or reliable). Lastly, any over the counter medication. Especially ibruprofen and painkillers that you are used to and trust. Nurofen is not sold here, and as I soon found out, if you have a bad cold or the flu, pharmacy staff tend to insist that you take 'allergy' pills!!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast