Like Tree7Likes

Where to live on a modest budget?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Where to live on a modest budget?

I'll be moving to Hong Kong in april/may and will be working in China 3-4 days a week. I'm single, no kids and my budget is around 15k per month.
    I'd really like to have a view - sea/mountains and good quality bath, don't need more than 1 bedroom. as I'll be travelling a lot it should be convenient to the airport train, supermarket, gym.
    I'd really appreciate any advice., thanks.

You'd be best off in the NT - for sea/mountains and good quality try the Gold Coast. There is a direct residents bus to the airport at minimum hourly throughout the day, takes 30 mins exactly. Aegean Coast is over the road - nice views, slightly cheaper, they don't have the airport bus though. Both have nice club-houses with gym and fitness facilities. The supermarket in the GC is a Marketplace so expat-friendly. There is a Taste in Tuen Mun. Tuen Mun or Yuen Long themselves also make sense but I'm not sure how you'll go getting "expat friendly" places with decent kitchens/bathrooms there.

From GC you can get to Tuen Mun in 5-10 minutes and from there there are buses to all three china crossing points. Closes is Shenzhen Bay Port - 10 mins from Tuen Mun. Shueng Shui is 20 mins on the (very frequent) #44 minibus. Obviously if you are working near Lu Wo then perhaps looking at the other side would work better - perhaps around Shatin but I'm less familiar with that side so others can comment.

Check out Discovery Bay

forget discovery bay! it would be a ROYAL pain in the arse to get to china 3-4 times/week!

i would suggest sha tin. you are right at the mtr to the lowu boarder crossing and there are buses to the airport as well. there is a citysuper for fancy imported food and a couple of supermarkets. not sure about gyms, but i'm sure there is one around. shatin has the largest population of all the districts in hk. also, shatin is just over the mountain from kowloon tong where there is a large taste supermarket above the mtr in festival walk.

Thanks for the input
    I'll be working in Fuzhou, so I'll be flying into China monday and out thursday/friday most weeks but will also be travelling alot otherwise.
    Someone also suggested Tung Chung - is that nice or only convenient?

Last edited by Bettie; 04-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Tung Chung is convenient for the airport, and relatively cheap. It's a bit far (30+ minutes) from any nightlife, but that may or may not be an issue for you.

Just out of curiosity, what is your visa status in Hong Kong and China? Wouldn't it be easier to live in Fuzhou?

Last edited by PDLM; 04-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.

oh, in that case, look at tung chung as PDLM suggested. i assumed you were making land crossings, in which case, it may not be as convenient....

also, if that is the case, then discovery bay IS an option. you can easily get a 2-3 bedroom place near to the plaza for $15k. there is also a bus that goes to the airport every 30 minutes from the plaza.

ok, thanks-
    Where is nicer - Discovery Bay or Tung Shung? I'm thinking in terms of surroundings and options for dining/shopping. I'm not much of a night life person.

two totally differnt feels... no one can tell you what YOU will like. personally, i lived in db for over 6 years and absolutely loved it... but it is NOT for everyone.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast