Like Tree17Likes

Dying in Serviced Apartment

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Not far from HK Marina Fiona, ( Shelter Cove ), at the other end in Che Keng Tuk, roughly1km before you reach the Marina. The best spot in the area ( imho ), but luckily it wont appeal to those that are captives of the MTR and public transport, so it will remain the mid to high end sleepy hollow that it is.

It would have been fab living on a boat, you would have really enjoyed it out there, it's one of the best looking Marina's around, re surroundings.

The area you mentioned is up the hill diagonally behind the HK Marina club house, which is a bit of a shame, I patently dislike what they have done there, it's such a typical NT cram just for the sake of making a dollar, it really has spoiled that end. I do like the houses that are right behind the club house though, there is a group of 3 by themselves, quite secluded and private, surrounded by very mature trees. Which is the way it used to be, before the villagers decided to make a quick buck and build the white elephants that they built over the last 5 years.

Luckily at the other end there isn't any spare vacant land so things will remain neat and tidy, unspoilt.
    Hi Skyhook (sorry people just hijacking this to reply )

Yes, that's where I thought it might be....very lovely around there. We used to tell the taxi's 'Ma Nam Wat' and they seemed to use that for the HK Marina - there was hardly anything down there in those days, the clubhouse, the marina, the little cubby hole just past it owned by RHKYC and yes, those houses just behind the Marina (a friend lived there).

Looks like the Marina restaurant has changed dramatically, it was a little sleepy hole with a small bar and some very basic tables, where the kitchen staff would sit and chat after they'd cooked your meal. Some of the best beef with black bean fried noodles ever

Kate - that place looks outstanding and the travelling should be a lot better than it was, with the newer road system. If you're not averse to spending a little time travelling, and have a car, it would be like going home to a little sanctuary every day.
    Skyhook likes this.

It seems to me that there's a fundamental question of lifestyle that you need to answer. Living on 80 Robinson (or the other higher end places around the mid-levels) is conducive to a very different lifestyle than living in a remote house away from public transport in Sai Kung.

Remote lmfao, are you far can for real ?

You can drive from one end of Hong Kong, Stanley to the other ( Sheung Shui right near the China border) in under 2 hours lmfao...Such a dinky little territory we live in, that anywhere could be remote.

Yep, Sai Kung is pretty remote, being 35 minutes from Connaught road west HK Island, by car..

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.

If the lifestyle you desire precludes you driving your own car then that gets extremely expensive in taxis. And frankly I don't believe anyone spontaneously meets up with their mates in Central/Wanchai if they live in Sai Kung or Shueng Shui in the way that people who live in the mid-levels do. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but I have no doubt that the lifestyle of people living in houses away from public transport in Sai Kung is quite different from that of people who can walk to SoHo in 5 minutes. The OP hasn't made it clear which type of lifestyle she is looking for.

Actually she has: she wants "basic services like hairstylist, colourist, therapist, reiki master for dogs" etc. It's probably harder to find these in village areas.

Dmmos likes this.

Bookblogger, you really are a sour old man. I hear Prunes can be helpful for that disposition.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Dmmos likes this.

PDLM my preference is something more cosmopolitan, at least until I build some networks. although if we're stuck then moving out to Sai Kung does sound like a nice alternative.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Kate, a forum full of humdrum and repetitive expat questions about where to live and where to buy stuff would be rather dull... we do need to shake it up a bit to stop everyone falling into catatonia. You may never return to this board after your questions have been answered, but us smart-arses will be here forever

Last edited by bookblogger; 18-02-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Dmmos likes this.

The art of writing and communication is in being funny without having to be offensive.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Kate, if you are looking to live in the mid-levels and can bear getting two separate apartments, I would suggest Hanlun habitats. Unfortunately they only really have 1 bedroom places. An alternative would be to look at break lease apartments.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast