Like Tree17Likes

Dying in Serviced Apartment

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kate from Oz:
    The art of writing and communication is in being funny without having to be offensive.
    Thread hijack : But he is very funny without being offensive; at least to my Canadian ears (I think he is a Brit, not 100% certain). I think he is one of the funniest among the regulars here...

It might be a cultural thingie (you being from Oz and all) as humour doesnt easily cross cultural borders.

HC
    bookblogger likes this.

Thank you, thank you, you've been a great audience

PDLM my preference is something more cosmopolitan, at least until I build some networks. although if we're stuck then moving out to Sai Kung does sound like a nice alternative.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Go for the mid levels then or close on the island to Central. If it hasn't already been suggested, get a serviced apartment for a couple of months and then go from there.

Thanks Virago, we;re doing the serviced apartment thing at the moment.

Can't help with the serviced apartments but...

I would probably think twice before moving out to Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung. I know a lot of people will disagree with me here. As a couple with no kids, we found that the slow paced lifestyle and isolation didn't suit us, whereas it seemed better for families. As people who were new to town, we also found it hard to meet people.

Also the commute into town was not fun. We ended up getting out of our lease early and moving back onto HK island. Make sure you take a look at Happy Valley when you are choosing your longer term place. We love it here and find it very convenient.

Its nice to be in the middle of everything again. I guess you are either a city person or you are not and I know which of the two I am!

Quote Originally Posted by nassaugirl:
    I guess you are either a city person or you are not and I know which of the two I am!
    This is very true. I am absolutely in the opposite camp. Grew up in the countryside and find Hong Kong island stifling!

I love nature but struggle with being isolated or remote. I do like to be within walking distance of a nice coffee shop, a restaurant or two and within a 15 minute drive at most of things like cinema, shopping centre, supermarket, etc.

I'm thinking if we already had a strong network here Sai Kung might be perfect. Without it I might be climbing the walls.

I love nature but struggle with being isolated or remote. I do like to be within walking distance of a nice coffee shop, a restaurant or two and within a 15 minute drive at most of things like cinema, shopping centre, supermarket, etc.
    It would be hard to find somewhere in HK which does NOT meet those criteria. There are direct buses from Sai Kung to Diamond Hill, for example, a very large shopping centre with cinema, many restaurants and even a Marks and Spencer!

It would be a bit of a stretch to get there in 15 minutes though (even in a private car), particularly if you live beyond core Sai Kung.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It would be hard to find somewhere in HK which does NOT meet those criteria. There are direct buses from Sai Kung to Diamond Hill, for example, a very large shopping centre with cinema, many restaurants and even a Marks and Spencer!
    Why would anybody go to Diamond Hill ? New Town Plaza in Shatin or Festival Walk are where everybody goes for their/our cinema / shopping mall fix. . One of the greatest things about the Sai Kung district is the El fresco cafe structure in the square, the little strip shops , the lanes of the old part of SK town where the independent bespoke cafes are hidden, which is why places like Sai Kung are just so normal, familiar to me. SO much more depth .

A great many long term expat/foreigners have lived in this area for more than a decade, you'll find a hive of activity on the weekends, in Sai Kung Town , soon learning where everybody goes for their early morning breakfast, brunch or all day lunch, and which social clique you best fit in with...

Bear in mind also, lots of those long term foreign residents have opened up their own businesses in the Sai Kung DIstrict, be they cafe's, pubs, restaurants, gyms, kindy's, childrens art groups, bakeries, mechanics etc etc etc etc, that cater for us non Chinese folks . I love these cottage industries that give a real human vibe to this place, minus the bi nine sterility of the usual mall stores that typically smother most of Hong Kong's land scape , a bit like a retail ground hog day...

Sai Kung still has its community spirit, and its own unique vibe, it might be a little strong for some that aren't used to bucking the plastic sheeple trend of convenience, it's a little more Bohemian out here, people that if they say they are going to catch up for a coffee/beer/wine with you, they actually turn up.... Unlike those HK Island city folk that if anything requires any effort, they all bail out with excuses.

Get used to being told how far away you live from everywhere, it really is a bizarre behaviouralHK/EXPAT trait, that I have not experienced really anywhere else. Maybe it's a New Yorker thinking, maybe it is a London thinking, but back in Aus and other parts of Europe that I have lived, I never heard people place so much focus on being close to work in the city...Quality of life being the norm I suppose, where you work is incidental to where you live, if your life is only about being 5 minutes from work and boozing up in really cheesy little bars, then o.k, VIVA LE PLASTIQUE !

Last edited by Skyhook; 21-02-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast