Like Tree14Likes

Living on Park island (Ma Wan)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

PI is the worst piece of crap island ive been to in a long time. i would recommend people considering this island to consider moving anywhere else in HK. it seems nice...but after a few months to a year you will be ripping your hair out in anger and frustration.

Skyhook likes this.

Bender - do you live on PI? Is it possible you are upset because of the rising prices? To me it seems its still very affordable for such a nice place.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i wouldnt know how it is during the weekdays, but the weekends when i want to enjoy the island it is busy. and PnS is ALWAYS crowded every day of the week, no matter what time i try.

i am a bit biased though...i agree. i moved there expecting one thing, and then they went in a completely different direction.
    Tell me which part of HK is not crowded and busy during the weekends/holidays?
    What do you expect, no line at a supermarket? Completely died down so that nobody is in your way? It amazes me how people can be so fed up/frustrated while doing their groceries..

Why be so bitter about Park Island and call it crap, just because it didn't meet your expectations?

yeah!

where do you live Bender?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I still fail to comprehend the attraction of PI when you have nearby places very similar (say Ting Kau but more importantly Sham Tseng) with very good accomodation (ie Bellagio, Sea Crest Villa, Anglers Bay)
    i have seen them all and i can tell you that the quality in PI is better than the ones you have mentioned.

[QUOTE=Mat;1410513]much more supermarket selections, a very access to Central and Kowloon (ie not reliant on ferries) and lots and lots of hiking at their door steps and at least more than 3 restaurants/QUOTE]

re supermarket you have a point.

access = clearly PI is much better. in fact that was one reason i did decide against sham tseng, etc. PI has a ferry which gets me to my office in 35 mins (door to door) plus i have the option to take the airport express through tsing yi (in fact slightly quicker than the ferry). in sham tseng, i felt i had to buy a car

restos = PI indeed only has about 10-15, of which less than a third are really decent. again i can live with it as we have a good cook at home

I've lived in park island for close to 5 years.
    Rising prices??? My rental price has not changed since 1st day arriving, and those I've spoken to who have bought here have said that so far it has proven to be a bad investment since the selling price has not really fluctuated much over past 10 years (although I can't comment on that).

I really don't want to list all my grievances with this place again, as it's a long one. I'll let you move in and stay a while to create your own list.

Skyhook likes this.

[QUOTE=cookie09;1410833]i have seen them all and i can tell you that the quality in PI is better than the ones you have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    much more supermarket selections, a very access to Central and Kowloon (ie not reliant on ferries) and lots and lots of hiking at their door steps and at least more than 3 restaurants/QUOTE]

re supermarket you have a point.

access = clearly PI is much better. in fact that was one reason i did decide against sham tseng, etc. PI has a ferry which gets me to my office in 35 mins (door to door) plus i have the option to take the airport express through tsing yi (in fact slightly quicker than the ferry). in sham tseng, i felt i had to buy a car

restos = PI indeed only has about 10-15, of which less than a third are really decent. again i can live with it as we have a good cook at home
    Dont wish to enter into an argument here but I think overall I have more than a point:
    PI has less supermarkets, less grocery stores, less restaurants and in terms of transport I think it is probably because you are not used to the Bus/minibus system in HK. 962 from Sham Tseng to Central is 30/35 mn, you have 52X to Kowloon, minibuses than runs very regularly to Tsing Yi, Tsuen Wan...

So the only + point for PI is maybe the quality of the residence, and compare to sau, Anglers Bay or the latest phases of Sea Crest it remains to be seen.

But as I always say, to each it own ;-) else we would all be living in the same place ;-))

If private cars were permitted access to Bark Island, prices of housing there would increase 30% over night. That's why prices have flatlined there in my opinion. And one of the many reasons why we also avoided it, it is a very low performing ( well known ) "captive" complex.

If captive complexes, and capital gain are your thing, Discovery Bay is the place to be.

Bender - just out of interest, if you don't like an areas that you live in, why would you live there? And for so long? My guess would be that you might be one of those people who complains about things no matter where you are!

My observation is that so many people are moving to Park Island because they like it there so much! That's certainly the impression I get when I speak to residents. And I know more and more people living in Central who come visit PI and then move there when they realize all the benefits. Certainly its great for dog owners also (which I think was one of the original questions in this thread).

In terms of prices etc, here is some good data: Centadata - PARK ISLAND's Estate Page

You will see prices have been steadily rising, and is now at record highs (but still in my view quite affordable). The reason prices have been rising is because of increased demand. And the demand has increased because people like Park Island!

Also, I think as more foreigners and ex-pats move there, the feel of the place will change, hopefully for the positive. You can already see that happening with some of the new reataurants, etc. What you can do is make suggestions to the Park Island Management Committee if you are unhappy about how things are run. To me, the management seems excellent. Again, better than I have seen anywhere else in HK (and I have lived in many places all over HK in the past).

Can you name one development, anywhere in HK, that is of a better construction quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If private cars were permitted access to Bark Island, prices of housing there would increase 30% over night.
    Skyhook - I tend to agree. I know a number of people who have visited PI and commented "If I could drive here, I would move here in an instant". The private parking issue is controversial. It can definately be done, and I believe Sun Hung Kai are considering it. It would for sure push prices up, but remember there are also some residents who moved there entirely for the purpose of wanting to get away from cars.

In terms of transport, I usually use the ferry to get to and from work in Central, and in the evenings I sometimes use a taxi (which costs around $160 - the cost of 2 drinks in Lang Kwai Fong). If there was private parking I might get a car, but I must say, having lived in HK for many years I never really felt the need for a car as the private transport is so efficient.

Park Island also has bus shuttles every 5 minutes to the MTR station, so that can then connect you to the entire MTR train network across HK.

I check out DB. I found the whole DB thing to be to "Westernized", if you know what I mean. We are licing in HK after all, so what I like about Park Island is the mix of people there. Also, the Park Island local village with all the local people means there are some great seafood restaurants there. Also, on DB I did not like the fact that when you get off the ferry you need to take a golf buggy or minibus to your apartment. On Park Island, when you get off you can just walk as eveything is so close, and it has more of a holiday resort feel about the place, which is a wonderful contrast to the fast pace in Central.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast