Where would you live if you were us?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm depressed now 50K housing allowance.............

Last edited by Editor; 08-03-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I think Wan Chai would be quite an unpleasent location for a couple to live, especially for a women, and especially if they want a place that's also suitable for a dog. The suggestion of considering Tin Hau makes more sense though - I had not thought of that.
    Depends where in Wanchai - if wanchai midlevels it is not unpleasant at all.

[QUOTE=cookie09;1417597]

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Tin Hau would be good location-wise but it may be difficult to find anywhere that expensive in Tin Hau. QUOTE]

tin hau is hugely underrated and you can easily find 50k places if you go up tin hau road, or for example chose the penthouses in the building atop tin hau station.
    For 50K I would not consider Tin Hau in itself, but Tai Hang (just above). nicer and well located for Causeway Bay.

Happy Valley also has the added advantage of being near some of the sports clubs if you are seriously into sport and want to play Rugby, choices depend on budget (and regular attendance) running from the football club to valley. There is also the running track around the race course as well as seven-a-side soccer, soccer and hockey pitches.

Original Post Deleted
    I agree - to the OP - is this the case for you? Because if you mean 50,000HKD per month, that's a pretty darn generous allowance and will give you the flexibility to go pretty much anywhere in HK for a small 2 bed flat (or have a huge place somewhere not perfectly central).

My guess is that the 50K HKD "allowance" is part of your salary, so I would suggest some place like Hung Hom, Whampoa Gardens, lots of people have small pets, and with schools and shops near by, and a few oversea buses right underneath.

"oversea buses"???? what in the world are those?

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I think Wan Chai would be quite an unpleasent location for a couple to live, especially for a women, and especially if they want a place that's also suitable for a dog. The suggestion of considering Tin Hau makes more sense though - I had not thought of that.
    The south side of Wanchai, around Queen's Road East or up the hill on Kennedy Road would be fine, and quite convenient for walking the dog as well (as long as you like going up and down hills).

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    "oversea buses"???? what in the world are those?
    S/He means cross-harbour bus.

Thanks everyone, this will be a great help! We’ll stay in a serviced apartment for a month and leave Poppet at home while we check out the options you have mentioned. Then will make a decision on whether to bring her over or not. Can anyone suggest a suitable serviced apartment? Also, the 50,000 is just for accommodation if we don’t spend it it’s no big deal but we don’t get to keep it... It’s not part of his salary (unfortunately). One final thing – we don’t have any furniture… does this make a difference in terms of restricting where we can rent? We don’t have much in NZ either so pointless to bring it over. Are we better to buy stuff when we arrive? Or get a place that is furnished? What do you think…