Hong Kong Vs. Chicago

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bli:
    if you like hot wings and something different, before you leave you have to go to Great Seas on W. Lawrence (somewhere between Kimball and Kedzie)-
    it's a korean owned chinese restaurant but they have the best korean spicy wings there- everyone gets them. also it's an off the menu thing but order champoeng or zhajiangmyun- goes really well with the wings.
    AH, yes, great seas! shame on me as I'm Korean. They do have the best black bean noodles (zhajiangmyun) and you can even buy their chili sauce to take home. Also San Soo Gab San on Foster and Western, 24 hr Korean BBQ and they give you at least 20 different side dishes, your table is full before you get any of the food you ordered

WTF since when are there so many Chicagoans in HK? you never make yerselves known around town, i thought i was all by myself here! that's why when i went up to the security guy at Times Square and asked where the bus to Woodfield was he looked at me like i was nuts.
    This also explains why my odd exclamations of "Berwyn!!!" never get much love.

i've been off Geoexpat for ages but good to see so many fellow Big Shoulders around...maybe we can hook up for some Honkers Ale and exchange fond memories of the Secretary of State and freaking brown line?

cerberus : we've had a chicagoan's night out .. sadly the Windy city folks were outnumbered by the rest of the 'mericans.

looks like we'll need to have another Chicago party soon! and celebrate Dictator, er I mean, Mob Boss, umm I mean Mayor Daley's recent re-re-re-re-re-election again...
    St. Pattie's is coming up! anyone care to organize something?

ok but to answer the original question if it's still relevant:

Chicago pros:

car culture and having your own car

more privacy

much quieter and certainly not as crowded

true world city attitudes-good and bad

considering it extremely rude to apply "friendly" slurs to anyone

varied nightlife

suburbia!

JEWEL f'ing OSCO and other real supermarkets for normal people

parking

diverse food that's hearty and in big portions

awesome street names

driving

that dark, dank, traditional, woodsy mood only N American cities have

unique urban culture and neighborhoods

driving

good beer

Kill Hannah

lots more but no time to mention all

your travel potential is in the hundreds of miles if you feel like getting away

Chicago cons:

getting more crowded and meaner

getting more expensive

flat landscape

your travel potential is hundreds of miles of flat farmland basically

road construction

infrastructure could do with some upgrading

very aggressive nightlife

i guess for many the spread out feel gets old fast, but i love it

summers are getting rowdier

not so many more that i can think of.

HK's the same...more pros than cons and i can get to those later.

when in in HKG in miss CHG, when in CHG, i miss HKG. don't forget what they say about grass.

hey mock The Daley at your own risk!

you already had a night? thanks for letting me know! here's another con for Chitown folk: lack of loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by bli:
    looks like we'll need to have another Chicago party soon! and celebrate Dictator, er I mean, Mob Boss, umm I mean Mayor Daley's recent re-re-re-re-re-election again...
    St. Pattie's is coming up! anyone care to organize something?
    I'd be up for a St. Pattie's Day get together with Chicago folk... Maybe a junk rental is in order to Paint the Harbor Green?

My wife & I moved to HK from Chicago in January and definately enjoying HK. However, nothing beats Chicago in the summer. Sure miss my Perry's Delli Sandwiches at lunch, Portillos Beef & Lou Malnati's deep dish.........On the bright side, there is a Morton's in Kowloon, although none of the chains will ever compare to the original...

>> thanks for letting me know!

Yeah.. like I send out individual invitations. Thats why you need to keep checking the site six times a day.

Looks like I'm in HK on March 25th

Looks like I'm there on March 25th. Let's see what happens!

hey KIA...been off the site for like six months, seems nobody missed me dammit.

entropy, give my best to CLTV and have a Dogfish Head at the Maple Leaf for me. DAMMIT.

antway, is the 25th St Pat's? i don't even know.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast