Like Tree16Likes

Japan Earthquake - Donations & Goodwill

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japan Earthquake - Donations & Goodwill

We're trying to provide a list of groups that are currently accepting donations and seeking volunteers for the Japan Earthquake / Disaster.

Here are a few that we can identify as being trust worthy ( a fair bit of our money goes towards these groups or they've got a good track record ).

As news unfolds, it is becoming fairly obvious that external aid will be needed, even though the govt has not officially asked for assistance.

From the Shelterbox site ( linked to below )

The Japanese government has not yet requested any international assistance for the provision of emergency shelter but has put great value in international aid agencies operating autonomously and self-sufficiently in the country.
    As a personal choice, I prefer to give money to organizations that are single purpose in nature and have a large volunteer base involved.

- Shelter Box: ShelterBox: - News Donation link on upper right corner ( My Rotary Club ( Rotary Club of Hong Kong South ) is involved with them ) CNN Story
    - Telecoms Sans Frontiers ( Japan 8.9 Earthquake/Tsunami: TSF deployed ) Donation link on upper right corner.

Red Cross Hong Kong is also collecting funds online.

- Red Cross: Hong Kong Red Cross ( Donation link on upper menu )

Feel free to add any other NGOs or charities involved in fund raising.

Would appreciate if replies were restricted to adding links to NGOs - if you have the need to voice an opinion, start a new thread. Please.
    Last edited by shri; 18-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Vrindavan likes this.

do you know anyone collecting clothing, toys, food etc? i want to do a collection drive at the playgroup centre...

sorry, it's not a link...

Last edited by carang; 16-03-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Do you have any information on volunteering? I know there are quite a lot of people that want to put in the time to physically volunteer in Japan. However, I know there are a lot of barriers in the way. I've received a lot of response such as, "Unless you are a regular Red Cross member, unless you already have disaster relief experience, unless you have an very particular specialty, etc," that bar regular people from helping. But what about the average Joe that just wants to volunteer with simple tasks that are not related to intense search and rescue or need a huge infrastructure to support?

I've been thinking about how to get the ball rolling for others in my position, that simply want to put in some actual time in Japan to help. I can and will cover my own costs. I have had EMT credentials in the past and have worked on construction projects previously. I am no expert but I would say I could help out quite a bit. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. I understand there is the possibility that I may do more harm than good or get in the way. But I'm not talking about trying to go help out at the nuclear facilities. If I saw a 70 year old couple on the news cleaning up their own house and helping neighbors, I'm sure a regular volunteer without extensive experience can do a lot to help. I doubt a 15 man crew from China will really be able to help out thousands of people. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

If anyone knows individuals with actual experience in disaster relief, I would like to contact them and discuss the possibilities of how to tap into this huge untouched pool of volunteers. It might be naive. It might be legally/economically/etc impossible, but I would still like to have a little discussion.

Dude, the resources there are scarce, so unless you could do things that the people there can't do, you'll do them more harm than good.

I feel ya nlsk, but as MikeLowrey said, probably you will be a hinderence rather than helpful.

hi

i have been checking in both english and japanese and speaking to a lot of people on the ground there and so far there is nothing organized for non-professionals.

there are many reasons for this, lack of transportation to get there or around once you are there is one concern, as is lack of water, food, heat, and shelter. you would not necessarily be a hindrance but they simply are not set up right now to accept your help.

japan also is quite slow to accept foreigners aid, always citing a variety of reasons why foreginers can't really help. just culture.

also, due to the touchy situation with the nuclear reactors they are asking that no one put themselves in harm's way for the time being.

i have along history with japan, have many friends and family there, and also volunteered just after the massive kobe quake years ago. the only way i was able to do that was to call in sick to work and just go. i ended up jumping on a van that was handing out food and medicine and jumping off when i got to a shelter etc that seemed in need of help.

my suggestion, if you want to do this and feel strongly about it, wait a bit for things to settle a bit more, the get yourself there and just look for someone to help.

i'll post if i do find anything more organized.

shri and Creative83 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nlsk:
    Do you have any information on volunteering? I know there are quite a lot of people that want to put in the time to physically volunteer in Japan. However, I know there are a lot of barriers in the way. I've received a lot of response such as, "Unless you are a regular Red Cross member, unless you already have disaster relief experience, unless you have an very particular specialty, etc," that bar regular people from helping. But what about the average Joe that just wants to volunteer with simple tasks that are not related to intense search and rescue or need a huge infrastructure to support?

I've been thinking about how to get the ball rolling for others in my position, that simply want to put in some actual time in Japan to help. I can and will cover my own costs. I have had EMT credentials in the past and have worked on construction projects previously. I am no expert but I would say I could help out quite a bit. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me. I understand there is the possibility that I may do more harm than good or get in the way. But I'm not talking about trying to go help out at the nuclear facilities. If I saw a 70 year old couple on the news cleaning up their own house and helping neighbors, I'm sure a regular volunteer without extensive experience can do a lot to help. I doubt a 15 man crew from China will really be able to help out thousands of people. Doing something is better than doing nothing.

If anyone knows individuals with actual experience in disaster relief, I would like to contact them and discuss the possibilities of how to tap into this huge untouched pool of volunteers. It might be naive. It might be legally/economically/etc impossible, but I would still like to have a little discussion.
    I have a buddy who is considering heading over. He is pretty upset that his ex and her family and his kid (which he was unaware of until this incident) are all confirmed dead in the Tsunami. He has been in contact with a his Japanese friends and has been told that many of the resident foreigners have not been much help at all and most seem to care only about themselves. Instead of assisting many of them prefer to stay indoors and clog up the internet.

If you are seriously thinking of heading over I can put you in touch with him.
    shri likes this.

FYI: Google Crisis Response is collecting money on behalf of Japanese Red Cross Society, Unicef & Save the Children.

2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

I'd really like to head over and help too and also don't have any professional skills. I've volunteered lots since I was young because I believe that physical help is equally as important as financial help.

However I do think that without any professional skills, heading over at this time of crisis, with their shortage of food and electricity, might just mean another person taking up their space, food and resources while offering little help. Better to donate the money that I would end up using for plane ticket, food, and accommodation through an organization to help. From what I understand they have volunteer centers around the area in Japan anyway for willing locals to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    FYI: Google Crisis Response is collecting money on behalf of Japanese Red Cross Society, Unicef & Save the Children.

2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami
    Good website. Gotta love google. Seems to have all the information anyone would need. I only found a website that has a list of places to donate but that's in Japanese.... there are other "projects" started by people online to send just thoughtful messages over. At this time of crisis I thought that might help too (on top of financial support). Let me know if that interests anyone.
    Last edited by lilone; 16-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Sorry for double posting.

Global Giving's Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Relief Fund - "This project will disburse funds to organizations providing relief and emergency services to victims of the earthquake and tsunami. GlobalGiving is working with International Medical Corps, Save the Children, and other organizations on the ground."

Network for Good - as with Global Giving, this organization takes donations and then gives them to a variety of organizations involved in relief efforts (Including the Red Cross, OxFam USA, AmeriCares, Doctors Without Borders and Save the Children--the page linked here actually has a listing and links for donations to individual charities, as well)

Pray for Japan bracelet - Lady Gaga designed a bracelet almost immediately after the tsunami and tweeted that all proceeds from the bracelet will go to relief efforts, though it is not known which organization she'll be donating the money to and shipping is like twice the price of the bracelet itself, but there is an option of donating more money on top of it.

Interesting info that I found:
    Paypal - is waiving fees for all registered charities supporting Tsunami relief efforts until April 10,2011, so if you give using Paypal (which several organizations accept), they won't be charged transactional fees.

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada - info for Canadians and non-Canadians on disaster relief in general which might come in handy.

Japan Earthquake: How you can help

Aid Matrix - will be updating with info about in-kind donations.

Last edited by lilone; 16-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast