Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast

Japanese is such a race advocating self-esteem, they would not beg for other helps even the crisis escalates. Wondering if they took the offer from Russia or state in the beginning, the case might not be such bad as now.

Last edited by louiskon; 16-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.

I suspect too that they have not been set up for anything of this magnitude but will be next time when they learn what they must do to communicate the right messages via the right people and not have embassies in Tokyo issuing alerts to fill the dead air space.

This is massive and the problem serious but at this time there is no panic in places like Shanghai where you would think there'd be more concern given the proximity.

The news reports that it will likely blow towards the east if it does blow. Of course that looks the flight path to North America (or to Vancouver).

It is no doubt too the desire of a company to control the news and that is why there should be some one who is knowledgeable, independent and trustworthy doing technical briefings and not someone from the gov't reading out readings.

I am not sure all those fleeing Tokyo need to do that but if they can and have the means, why not?

It is sad the risk that the workers are in on this. Must be tough on their families.

Bloomberg had on some guys buying up Japanese stocks to get their funds fully invested in construction companies and one guy buying into a drug store chain. Still bullish on Japan. Some of the market drop he attributes to margin calls. Some investors have a lot more to worry about than just this disaster which will pass.

Last edited by Football16; 16-03-2011 at 12:26 PM.

0456: More on the evacuation of French nationals from Japan. The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says the evacuation will begin on Thursday. Two French planes are already on their way to Japan.

Three reactors in Fukushima #1 plant have blown up, exploded. That means they have become uncontrolled, temperature wise. Meltdown is now fait a'ccompli. reactor #4 is on fire, which was caused by extremely high temperature used fuel rods located in the roof storage area to become exposed from its liquid bath, and now emitting radioactive isotopes freely into the atmosphere.
    Potassium Iodide, anyone?
    --
    I am expecting HK property values to begin to fall; and I won't be much interested until things settle at about 50% of what they are now. Until then, folks, enjoy your imminent black rain and radioactive wind.
    --
    I myself am off to a much safer, cleaner and nuclear-free area of the planet. Enjoy!

Interesting little note about radiation exposure - taking about an exposure of 0.1mSv (or about 625 days of radiation exposure from the normal background level at Chiba)

Another way of looking at risk is to look at the relative risk of one in a million chances of dying of activities common in our society. For example, the relative risk of one in a million chance of dying from activities common in everyday life is smoking 1.4 cigarettes (lung cancer), eating 40 tablespoons of peanut butter, spending 2 days in New York City (air pollution), driving 40 miles in a car (accident), flying 2500 miles in a jet (accident), canoeing for 6 minutes and receiving 0.1mSv of radiation.

http://www.europeanscanning.com/pdf/...onexposure.pdf

Also interesting to note that residents of Cornwall in the UK receive about 20mSv per year. Guangdong province is also a high radiation dose area as well. Given the panic here about radiation doses. I would recommend the following:

* Avoid any where with granite deposits, in fact why not avoid anyone's house with a granite top or tiles?
    * Leave Hong Kong, Guangdong is a high background radiation area, moreover its near a nuclear power plant
    * Don't fly by airplane
    * Never have an X-ray or CT scan
    * Don't go anywhere near a hot spring and for heaven's sake don't swim in the water let alone drink it.

For the rest of us

Last edited by fth; 16-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asianfever:
    Three reactors in Fukushima #1 plant have blown up, exploded. That means they have become uncontrolled, temperature wise. Meltdown is now fait a'ccompli. reactor #4 is on fire, which was caused by extremely high temperature used fuel rods located in the roof storage area to become exposed from its liquid bath, and now emitting radioactive isotopes freely into the atmosphere.
    Potassium Iodide, anyone?
    --
    I am expecting HK property values to begin to fall; and I won't be much interested until things settle at about 50% of what they are now. Until then, folks, enjoy your imminent black rain and radioactive wind.
    --
    I myself am off to a much safer, cleaner and nuclear-free area of the planet. Enjoy!
    Who let George out?

So that meant on Tuesday afternoon, people in Fukushima were absorbing double the annual dose of radiation every hour?

Quote Originally Posted by asianfever:
    I am expecting HK property values to begin to fall; and I won't be much interested until things settle at about 50% of what they are now.
    --
    - 1. care to share your analysis?
    - 2. care to share where?

I love clowns.
    climber07 likes this.

Non British version

Closed Thread
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast