Like Tree147Likes

Japan Earthquake & Pacific Tsunami

Closed Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think it's linked to the panic buying of iodized salt - as explained in the other thread. Just craziness.

See here: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/5...ml#post1429805
    haha whoops...I thought this thread WAS that thread
    hmm this is why an edit/delete button should exist on posts.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Someone suggests change the flag of japan to this

Badly sarcastic....

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    It the truth, why sugar coat it? Give you an example, I was in DC driving around and got lost. I ended up 3 miles out of the main capital corridor. I asked a cop for direction, cop was like "You are not from around here, you need to get out of here."

He called for another patrol car and I had a lead cop car and a cop car in back taking me out of that area. Once I was out of that area, the cops gave me a lecture about driving in DC, where not to go, and how not to get lost unless I wanted to go home to California in a coffin.

The cops who were African American explained that DC has a lot of side streets, at night the locals push broken cars and block off streets making them dead ends. When you go down the wrong street and try to do a U turn. The box you in and jack you, if you are lucky you will only get robbed and beaten if you are a guy. If you are a girl, most likely you would get robbed, beaten, raped, and murdered.

I can only base my assessment on experience, not what I have seen and or heard/read on TV and the newspapers.
    While what you say about DC has some truth to it as to risk to suggest that all blacks are to be considered as one group all the same is idiocy. Robbed is likely the most common in many US cities and bad areas. It is the same in many places of the world where there is poverty.

I do think the Japanese are to be commended for how stoic they are and orderly and not making a bad situation worse.

It is not all parts of DC either. I have spent quite a bit of time there and walked all over at night even. Some parts, yes. Take care.

NW DC is fine. Georgetown, DuPont Circle fine too. White House area fine. Now don't walk east of Union Station at night too far alone - take a cab. I think it is getting safer but NOT areas of DC require you to be armed at night.

Even the train station right near the US Capitol can be dodgy if you go the wrong way exiting.
    Last edited by Football16; 17-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Australia has risen their travel advice to their highest possible rating with the North of Tokyo and surrounding areas a 'do not travel' warning.

Travel Advice for Japan - Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    That still does not prove the relevance of your prior statement

Ppl on Geo really have reading issues.

Well in your case it is obvioulsy more than reading issue though
    That is why really need an 'Ignore' button like on other sites, hiding/suppressing posts from selected users.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    That is why really need an 'Ignore' button like on other sites, hiding/suppressing posts from selected users.
    Which we have - go to that person's profile and click "Add to Ignore List"
    beachball likes this.

F'n idiots bought all the salt from both of the supermarkets near mine, I have to brine my pork chops for dinner. What are they going to do with all the salt when they find out it does shite all? Cure all their food? I hope they all get scurvy.

Football16 and asianbelle like this.

Totally different. Iodide works and salt doesn't. Can't you tell the difference between being prepared and panic buying? Popping in a pharmo on the way to work to buy a pack of tablets isn't the same as rushing to the stores and buying up 10 bags of salt.

And people need salt for cooking, buying ten iodide tablets won't cause anybody an inconvenience.

Last edited by MikeLowrey; 18-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

A well written Fukushima vs Chernobyl article:

Five lessons from Fukushima by Rob Lyons | spiked

HC

MovingIn07 and Football16 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I laughed at friends who ran around buying up Tamiflu but then I realized that they were much happier as a result. It may be money wasted to you (and me) but the purchase makes them feel better by thinking they are in control of their situation.

HC

Closed Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast