If you had a choice: HK or Singapore ?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Whoa - just hold up one second amigo - who said anything about forming long term relationships? I'm a lot shallower than you think ha ha ha!

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

My choice?....Both.

I just love women (especially the good-looking ones),....what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by bli:
    I also agree that on average people in general, especially the women, are better looking in Singapore.
    "Better looking". Good word choice.

I think Singapore girl looks exotic to western people or people who grew up mostly in the western part of the world. Some could say that they look good in this sense.

Apart from their rather exotic look, only Singaporean/Malaysian mentioned to me that their fellow country girls look good. Also about missing their countries too.

IMHO, the focus is mostly on their bodies, which are definitely more shapely than Hong Kong girls. However, I think one may need to grow up there to really appreciate such look and pick and choose the part to look at.

Back to the topic, to me, Singapore is bland and boring both for visiting and living. I heard someone commenting about Singapore to a Singaporean that Singapore is livable. It seems to me that that Singaporean felt really offended. Also, I felt that there is an increasing pride and nationalism of Singaporean on their country. Nationalism can be good, but sometimes, it is really annoying.

And I heard a lot that Singaporean mentioned that why HK people loves to compare HK to Singapore. In my experience of living in both places, I believe that it's the other way around.

Some could say that the varieties of food in Singapore is better than HK. And the western food tastes more western than in HK. I agree with both; however, it's more of Jack of all trade to me.

Don't expect too much on the taste as I don't think Singaporean is renowned for its own food. The heavily promoted perenakan food, a mix of local and Chinese food, is, at best, average to my palate and the taste is less refined than what Thai foods offer. The famous chili crab is one of the best way to destroy the delicate taste of seafood vs what cantonese style cooking and too rough vs. how Thai cooks their seafood if you want to make it spicy. And, God forbid, Singaporean even chews chili in vinegar with their shrimp dumpling (Har Gow).

Nevertheless, if you like a livable and very safe place and exotic look, then Singapore is the place. To me, if you like the real world, then it's definitely Hong Kong.

PDLM: looks like HK's got some competition in being the worst in that department....
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/wo...-japansex.html

Cool

been to Singapore once, I would NEVER live there, way too claustrophobic and with only like half the population in HK, it's like comparing seattle with NYC...

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    been to Singapore once, I would NEVER live there, way too claustrophobic and with only like half the population in HK, it's like comparing seattle with NYC...
    For me, Hong Kong has so far been the definition of claustrophobic. Yes, Singapore is small, but compared to HK I had a lot more personal living space (and paid a lot less for it).

Quote Originally Posted by mjk:
    For me, Hong Kong has so far been the definition of claustrophobic. Yes, Singapore is small, but compared to HK I had a lot more personal living space (and paid a lot less for it).
    Coming from Spore, I totally agree with you in terms of having more living space. And the trains and streets aren't as crowded as HK. But then again, each city has its pros and cons and therefore its hard to say which is better than the other.

Actually when i say claustrophobic i kinda mean the city itself... kinda small and you can pretty much discover everywhere in one day. Yeah, definitely more living space and singapore has Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.. which I don't think HK has :-) (they don't even have it in NYC!)

More living space. In a way, it's a two edge sword to me.

The larger and less expensive apartment in Singapore is actually not less expensive than HK when taken things into account. Quantitative-wise, ie square footage, Singapore's definitely less expensive. If you can put up with some strange decoration style there like shocking pink steel bar at the windows inside the house, then Singapore may be for you. Mind you that Hong Kong does have its fair share of this kind of decoration but, on average, Singapore has an unbelievable more of this things which seemed to a norm for apt over there. To me, the main reason for HK is due to its limited space but Singapore is not and, till these days, I don?t understand why they did that. Of course, this is rather subjective and I myself only saw 40+ apartments in Singapore and discussion with a score of people who used to stay in both places which are nowhere a full representation of Singapore. I only find this kind of comment on Hong Kong from Singaporean, as far as I recalled.

The shopping center along Orchard Road is, to me, too distant to really shop comparing to HK. It's like you stretch Causeway Bay area out and diluting the shopping experience. Of course, distance is not a problem if you're willing to shell out a ridiculous sum of $$$ for a car there, even the 10 year old one. Also, I asked people about this distance more than a few time and they underquote it. The 5 minute walking distance in Singapore was more like a 10-15 minute walk unless you are a speed runner. The 5 minute walking distance in Hong Kong is more like 3 minutes plus max.

This also led me to the efficiency angle. When people say Singapore is an efficient place, I do agree but it?s definitely not the most efficient place. You can get things done there in a reasonable time but nowhere near the speed and the obsession for efficiency HK people has if you compare apple to apple, ie the local branch of world class corporates of both countries, not the local one to the foreign one.

Dirty air. I agree, on average, Singapore is cleaner. However, make sure you are not there when there is some forest fire from Indonesia. I felt like there was ton of incense lit up in an enclosed room. I was outdoor in Singapore and could see a moderately thick veil of gray pollution layer everywhere for as long as a week or so and I have never seen anything remotely near this situation in HK, even in whatever people said the worst ever day since I?ve been here. Mind you also that it happened once in a while but when it happens?.

Looking on the paper, Singapore will beat HK on almost every aspect. Also, you get a very very safe city to stay. Despite these claims, I totally agree with goleoboy that it?s way too claustrophobic in Singapore. And it?s a surprise even though Singapore has more space than HK. I was told in the past that as a tourist if you stay in Singapore longer than three days, you?re crazy as there is nothing to really see and do there. Nevertheless, we all have different priorities and both cities will serve you well accordingly. However, from my experience in both cities, HK beats Singapore hands down. Singapore is more like a souped up version of Toronto in Canada, IMHO which is definitely a good place to live but is nowhere near the experience you will get from New York, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

I agree that Singapore maybe a small city but the greenery is better with les pollution and people are not as rush as the HK ones here...

And also the people are more genuine and dun behave that "hensit" as in here...:P

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast