Like Tree4Likes

Getting a Teaching Job in HK for a Pakistani

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Getting a Teaching Job in HK for a Pakistani

Hi,

I have done my Engineering from Uni of Nottingham, and have for the past 9 months been teaching foundation year and first year students in a post secondary institute in Pakistan. I am interested in coming to HK to teach numerate subjects (Physics/Math) but all the advertisements I see are for 'native english speakers'.

So I was just wondering if there are any school teachers here who can guide me on what to do. I directly contacted a couple of school s via email, but no one responded.

And lastly I would like to know that how much experience would be a 'minimum'. Also, is a teaching qualification like a BEd/MEd required?

Thank you

Hi,

So you want to come to Hong Kong to teach math? You can't speak Cantonese, I assume, and you don't have any teaching qualifications other than 9 months teaching in Pakistan?

So....what to do?

1.) Learn Cantonese
    2.) Get a teaching qualification

Ask yourself, if you're an employer, why on earth would you go to the trouble of sponsoring an unknown from another country who can't speak your language, has no experience and no qualifications? Go on, ask yourself! :-)

Bryant - why so rude?

Anyway ECY - the minimum I guess would be a TEFL, though obviously, the more qualified you are, the better your chances.

This may be controversial to say, but I think schools prefer white NETs in all honesty - even if you were born and bred in an English speaking country but from a different ethnic background. I don't think I have ever come across a non white NET in my short time here. I think race is more of an issue here than in, say, England, to job prospects. I don't know for sure though, that's just my impression.

I don't know if anyone else can add anything to what I said. Hopefully I am wrong about the race thing though.

If you're going to have any chances of teaching in a good HS in HK, you will need proper teaching qualifications. It's not necessary to be a native english speaker nor caucasian to work in International schools but you have to speak fluently and generally most schools look for teachers with several years experience.

If you are going to work in a post secondary institution, you don't need teaching qualifications but at the very least a Master's degree with many years of experience or preferably a PhD. You have to understand that good teaching jobs in HK are well paid and the working conditions are usually far better than in most countries so it's a very competitive market.

chingleutsch, ecy5maa and champrx2 like this.

Good Gilles and also a very important thing.

Hows your accent? Is yours fairly neutral or very broad pakistani? If its the former then you're good to go if the latter then you might struggle.

If you're not teaching English then your accent really doesn't matter that much as long as you are fluent and easy to understand... There are plenty of teachers particularly in the science field with very strong accents( I remember a particular Scot at West Island that students had a very difficult time with).

Many international schools have a few non native speakers with strong accents on their staff. There are some that get hung up on that but your qualifications are far more important when it comes to technical subjects...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Ask yourself, if you're an employer, why on earth would you go to the trouble of sponsoring an unknown from another country who can't speak your language, has no experience and no qualifications? Go on, ask yourself! :-)

True. But then again, you seem to have assumed that I want to hop on the next flight and come over to HK.

Ask yourself, why would I be asking rather simple things like minimum teaching experience and whether a teaching qualification is required or not...IF i wanted to do what you think I want to do.

I asked these questions to get information, as I would like to come to HK to teach math..eventually but not immediately.

But thanks anyway.

EDIT: I guess that line about contacting schools made it confusing. I should have clarified that my purpose was not to apply formally for a job, rather seek information about the pre-requisites of getting a job.
    Last edited by ecy5maa; 08-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.

@lucky Cat: Thank you for your reply;
    But I dont want to teach English. So will a TEFL still be required?

@Giles: Thank you for your reply.
    Umm, What kind of teaching qualification are we talking about here? something like MEd? Also, I read elsewhere on this forum that the government of HK has stipulated that all non residents have minimum two years teaching exp before taking up employment here. Is that limit still at 2 years or has it been increased?

@jimbo: Thank you for your reply
    Never been told any thing about my accent, so I really cant say. I would assume its neutral.

Last edited by ecy5maa; 08-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.

No, it would be useless... Proper teaching qualifications for secondary schools and/or Master's or PhD in a relevant area for post secondary...

Last edited by gilleshk; 08-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast