Chai Wan

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

In Island Resort all flats are semi-furnished with the usual stuff - fridge, built in cooker and washing machine. Some furniture though may not be to your liking (I've seen ghastly ones) but you can ask if landlord is willing to take it away when checking for flats. Lots of agents around those areas, so no need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by teddylam:
    it is relatively localize area which most of local HKnee staying there. depends, if u looking for something very localize is good. It might take 30 mins travalling to Central as there will be some express going to Central. The rental px there around HK$15-20 per month.
    There is a good development named ISLAND RESORT which is new and located in front of harbour. If u do need any further info, pls feel free to email me at [email protected]
    Teddy, for a 6xx sqft apartment the rental price should be way below 15-20k HKD! Just take a look at recent transactions...

I work in Chai Wan but I would not like to live there with the possible exception of Island Resort.

I'd go for Heng Fa Chuen anyday but take your time and look around. Haggle like hell to get the best deal and aim to offer 10% less than the asking price.

If you are working in Central you may wish to consider Mid-Levels. More pricey admittedly but you can find some bargains there if you hunt around. You could also look at the Bonham Road area in Sai Ying Pun which is a bit cheaper but you can either walk to work via the escalator (if you are feeling energetic) or take a minibus or the 40/40M buses.

I just feel that if you live out in Chai Wan but want a social life after work you might regret it. You want to be reasonably near Lan Kwai Fong or Wan Chai.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    I work in Chai Wan but I would not like to live there with the possible exception of Island Resort.

I'd go for Heng Fa Chuen anyday but take your time and look around. Haggle like hell to get the best deal and aim to offer 10% less than the asking price.
    Thanks for the message.

Why would you not want to live in Chai Wan? I mean what are the reasons other than a weak social life?

So is it advisable to aim for 10% discount or just to start there and end up with 5% or so? What is common?

Quote Originally Posted by Moving2HK:
    Thanks for the message.

Why would you not want to live in Chai Wan? I mean what are the reasons other than a weak social life?

So is it advisable to aim for 10% discount or just to start there and end up with 5% or so? What is common?
    I got 3%, but then my rent is paid and I really wanted that flat so I didn't really push it. Heng Fa Chuen to Wan Chai is about 15 mins on the MTR or about 80 dollars in a taxi. Well actually its 65 dollars to Wan Chai and 80 dollars to come back! Strange but true.

Chai Wan is quite industrialised with lots of older housing in shabby blocks. The newer developments like Island Resort really stand out. I hope no-one takes this the wrong way but I just find the area 'too Chinese' and I think other more cosmopolitan areas of HKI are better lo live in for a Westerner.

If you are single why not consider Wan Chai? You can find some gems there off the main drag. Properties there tend to be older and smaller but some of them are great inside and I looked at quite a few nice 2 bed places (a bit small admittedly) for between 10-13K. Just make sure you are not looking out on Hennessy Road which is busy and noisy.

You could take a tram or many different buses to work in Central or walk. As I am sure you are aware, there are lots of bars and restaurants in Wan Chai and whilst you don't want to live right on top of these it is good to have then in close proximity.

If you want peace and quiet and lots of fresh air from the sea then talk to my mate Hullexile about Heng Fa Chuen - nice area.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving2HK:
    I live at Island Resort (IR), and love it. I also love Chai wan because i am more of a shut-in than I think most on this board. With the notable exception of Island Resort, Chai wan (and Siu Sai Wan where IR is at) consists of government-assisted housing. There are a handful of schools as well, and lots and lots of greenery.

All of which makes it a very relaxing and quiet tip of HK island, you will see lots of elderly folk and families with children. I have seen foreigners and flight attendants living at IR, but I would estimate they account for less than 1% of IR's residents. You will likely need to take a taxi out to causeway bay or further west for any semblance of a western social life. Cost is as others mentioned $70-100. But it's very quick. E.g. from Pacific Place (Admiralty) back to IR, the taxi takes the IEC (highway) from beginning to end, and there is only one set of traffic lights it needs to stop at. Cost is $90, and takes less than 15 mins at nite.

PM me if you would like a non-biased tour / guide of the place when u're in town.

Bus

Btw, are the buses to Central/Admiralty from Island Resort packed? Will I have a place to sit?

you wont have to worry about the buses being packed ? they're very regular (on average every 10 minutes) and as we're the first pick-up, you're guaranteed a seat-ive never had to stand. you can catch the mini-bus - a snip at HK2.7 ? to heng fa chuen MTR if you prefer to take the tube. I'm a westerner and have lived in IR for nearly two years and love it. ok so its on the far eastern side of the island but i find that its v. convenient ? and i go out a lot too ? with excellent transport links. i like it cos its quiet and out of the city. the facilities are quite good as well and don't get that busy, considering how many people live there. you dont hav2 go 2 central or LKF for drinks either ? nearby quarry bay is quite nice, and sai wan ho is kinda up-and-coming

btw: rental, my friend pays about 10K for a 650 sq foot flat ...

heng fa chuen is ok, and better usage of space than IR. but it's a bit old and knackered - i went to look at some flats there last week.

Island Resort

Long time no entry from me since many of my questions were answered. So thanks for that. It rarely happens that I dont have another question hehe... but here are some more:

1) Is there a Park n Shop close to Island Resort? I assume there definitely is 7-11.
    2) Are there laundry shops close by?
    3) Is there a bakery?
    4) What about a dim sum restaurant. I dont mind if it is very very basic and local.
    5) I guess I am trying to get a 6xx or 7xx sqft apartment. Is one of the towers recommendable? Should one of the towers be avoided?
    6) How bad is the noise from the nearby stadium?
    7) Are there enough taxis around? In Sheung Wan I sometimes had problems getting a taxi... I know is weird...
    8) Do the taxi drivers know Island Resort?
    9) How much more does a furnished apartment cost as compared to an unfurnished apartment.
    10) How stable and fast is the Internet connection? Is there wireless Internet?

So... maybe after that I know EVERYTHING :-)

Thank you!!