Like Tree139Likes

How would you improve China?

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    make it more like America, give everyone the right to bear arms and protect themselves.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A well regulated Militia is not necessary for the security of a free state, is it? Is that what you're getting at as China is not a Free state if they could bear arms as part of a militia they would be? Not sure the PLA would be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    make it more like America, give everyone the right to bear arms and protect themselves.
    What about the right to live somewhere that every other prat doesn't own a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    What about the right to live somewhere that every other prat doesn't own a gun?
    True enough. In the PRC only the CCP has any weapons. Mao wasn't dumb; he wrote: "Power grows out of the barrel of a gun", so confiscating all private weapons was one of the first things the Commies did in 1949. Since then, Gandhi-style passive resistance can only have one result - a bullet in the head. Very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    True enough. In the PRC only the CCP has any weapons. Mao wasn't dumb; he wrote: "Power grows out of the barrel of a gun", so confiscating all private weapons was one of the first things the Commies did in 1949. Since then, Gandhi-style passive resistance can only have one result - a bullet in the head. Very effective.
    Very effective indeed. Do you think the human rights people would be quite so up in arms if the poor peasants shot back?

Since then, Gandhi-style passive resistance can only have one result - a bullet in the head. Very effective.

Back when your British/Irish/Scottish ancestors massacred unarmed Indian people in their 1000's ? Gandhi was an absolute inspiration, one little frail man managed to make you Brits look like an absolute human rights disgrace, forcing you to withdraw under the worlds cry for human rights. Yes indeed, Gandhi made you look very bad during the day.

Yeah, there are very dark chapters in history about that sort of thing all over, even the Aboriginals in Australia copped a dose of the black powder gun. I've read historical notes written by British soldiers who were stationed in Tasmania who used to go Abo hunting after afternoon tea and cucumber sandwiches. Accounts of "civilised gentlemen" who thought nothing of shooting one of the "savages" ( sub humans ) for sport . They,( The British Soldiers of mainly Irish & Scottish ancestry ) thought it was a hoot that the savages threw spears back, making it a bit more sporting, even though their spears dropped short of the range of white mans black powder gun... Hardly a fair fight.

I am quite sure there were many accounts of white European men stationed all over the savage world, in the name of empire, foreign laws imposed of people enslaved, because you think your way is best for the rest of man kind.

Seems some things never change, hardly original are you FT.....
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-04-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Back when your British/Irish/Scottish ancestors massacred unarmed Indian people in their 1000's ? Gandhi was an absolute inspiration, one little frail man managed to make you Brits look like an absolute human rights disgrace, forcing you to withdraw under the worlds cry for human rights. Yes indeed, Gandhi made you look very bad during the day.

Yeah, there are very dark chapters in history about that sort of thing all over, even the Aboriginals in Australia copped a dose of the black powder gun. I've read historical notes written by British soldiers who were stationed in Tasmania who used to go Abo hunting after afternoon tea and cucumber sandwiches. Accounts of "civilised gentlemen" who thought nothing of shooting one of the "savages" ( sub humans ) for sport . They,( The British Soldiers of mainly Irish & Scottish ancestry ) thought it was a hoot that the savages threw spears back, making it a bit more sporting, even though their spears dropped short of the range of white mans black powder gun... Hardly a fair fight.

I am quite sure there were many accounts of white European men stationed all over the savage world, in the name of empire, foreign laws imposed of people enslaved, because you think your way is best for the rest of man kind.

Seems some things never change, hardly original are you FT.....
    WTF was that Skyhook????

BTW, I'm not a Brit, but the only reason Gandhi wasn't killed was because the Brits respected human rights - he used their own principles against them, which is why he eventually won. Hitler actually asked Chamberlain why he didn't just have Gandhi killed. If Gandhi had lived in today's China, he would have been executed or disappeared long ago, and you never would have heard of him.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 19-04-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Very effective indeed. Do you think the human rights people would be quite so up in arms if the poor peasants shot back?
    Not sure if I understand your question. Who gives a damn what the 'human rights people' think?

Not sure if I understand your question. Who gives a damn what the 'human rights people' think?
    You? Me? Most of the world? China, eventually.

Guns solve nothing. All that would happen if China had as many guns in it as the USA, is that there would be a civil war, or a guerilla war, loads more people would get killed (probably many of them innocent bystanders) and the incumbents would fight harder because losing would be death, rather than just loss of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You? Me? Most of the world? China, eventually.

Guns solve nothing. All that would happen if China had as many guns in it as the USA, is that there would be a civil war, or a guerilla war, loads more people would get killed (probably many of them innocent bystanders) and the incumbents would fight harder because losing would be death, rather than just loss of a job.
    One of your more ridiculous assertions.

First of all, the point I was making above is that the Second Amendment to the US Constitution has some historical context to it, not advertising on behalf of the NRA. Now that this discussion has evolved into a 'what if' scenario, you make the awesomely stupid assertion that "guns solve nothing". Hardly. The CCP have the guns, which is why they rule China. There is no other reason. I'm sure the Nazis, not to mention Mohamar Quadaffi, would have been quite happy if more people in the world took your broad view that whenever a group of killers is armed, it's probably best to just let them do whatever they want, because, as you so piously put it, 'guns solve nothing.' From the point of the view of your good friends in the CCP, the opposite is true: guns solve everything.

Yep, you are right Freetrader. Being dead is clearly better than living in China right now.

(This is one of those cultural by-passes Freetrader, you clearly have a strong view based on growing up in the USA where guns are common; I have an equally strong and opposite view growing up in the UK where even the police did not carry guns. I do not think guns solve problems. I think they make them worse. And people die into the bargain.)

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast