Expiry of work visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Expiry of work visa

I have already resigned and I am unemployed for 3 months now. But the issue is my previous work visa is expiring by end of April this year. I have been making effort to look for jobs but have no luck at all and I didn't acknowledge the immigration dept regarding my stay in HK. Is this a problem? I've got information from a friend that said I am allow to stay in HK until my visa expired in April. Am confused. Please help! thanks!

Yes - you are normally allowed to stay until your visa expires. But at that point you must either have left HK or applied to Immigration for some other type of visa.

Your previous employer should already have informed Immigration that you have resigned.

hi pdlm, does it mean that i am illegally staying in Hk now? is it still possible to extend the stay if i go and see immigration officer tomorrow?

No - it's not illegal until the end of your employment visa (i.e. the end of April if I understand you correctly). But if you know that you want to stay beyond the end of April then you should probably start talking to Immigration soon to try to get some sort of extension of stay - obviously you will need to give them a reason for wanting it.

ok i understand now. thank you pdlm!

Quote Originally Posted by beeeie:
    ok i understand now. thank you pdlm!

Hi, my work permit is getting expired on 14th April and i have applied for the extesion. the problem is i am going back for easter and will be back only on 8th April. the date of get the extended visa is 3ed april.

as visa will be expiring in 7 days when i will come back. will it be an issue?

Hi Funnie, I think it should be ok as long as you are physically in HK to obtain the visa yourself by the time you come back. Can I ask if your case is the same case as mine? You resigned and you are looking for jobs now. Is it easy to apply for the extension?

Quote Originally Posted by beeeie:
    Hi Funnie, I think it should be ok as long as you are physically in HK to obtain the visa yourself by the time you come back. Can I ask if your case is the same case as mine? You resigned and you are looking for jobs now. Is it easy to apply for the extension?
    No No. i havent resigned from my job or looking for a new one. i am very happy with this one ..

Help

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No - it's not illegal until the end of your employment visa (i.e. the end of April if I understand you correctly). But if you know that you want to stay beyond the end of April then you should probably start talking to Immigration soon to try to get some sort of extension of stay - obviously you will need to give them a reason for wanting it.

Hey PDLM, appreciate if you can answer my questions. I went to the Immig Dept last week to extend my stay in HK. I did not have any evidence for the extension except the emails from the companies which asked me for interviews. The officer said it's not valid, so I wasnt successful.
    I have 2 questions here.
    First, my visa expiring on 27th April and IF i have an offer only on the 22nd April, is it still possible to apply for the extension/work visa? I mean is the timing an issue here.
    Second, if I do not want to accept the offer, can I use the letter of offer to extend my stay?

Please advise!!
    Thank you very much!

I really don't know because I was fortunate enough not to be in this situation (only one job change before I got PR and that was lined up before I left the previous job and I had 9 months left on my visa.

But my guess is that if you have made an application for transfer of sponsor before 27th April (and you have provided all the necessary paperwork, including the letters etc from your potential new employer) then they would grant you an extension whilst they process it. But I really can't be sure - only ImmD themselves can give you the definitive answer.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast