DVD player confusion

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DVD player confusion

I recently purchased a DVD player from Fortresss, which I was led to believe played all regions.
    On the back panel there is a little globe sticker with a "3" on it. Does this mean it only plays region 3?
    Why will it play some US DVDs, which are labeled on the box as region 1, but not all US, region 1 labelled, DVDs?
    Actually, now I am told it won't play disks that it has previously played.
    What are the chances of being able to exchange t his back at Fortress? This would be easy back in the US, something tells me I am in for a struggle here?

The players are region-coded at the factory but HK distributors "disable" this coding. The label is not removed. I've never heard the "it won't play disks that it has previously played" line before. To do that it would need to remember the disc ids. I would take it back with a sample selection of region 1 dvds that don't play to show them.

We are 90% positive that the first DVD we put into this was the first Pirates of the Caribbean. Maybe about a month ago. Last night it came up with a region code error.
    It has played Toy Story 1 and 2, Men In Black, but not Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings.
    Thanks for the advice, we'll head to Fortress.

Before you take the DVD player back do this ..

Put the Region 1 DVD that does not work, into the player.

Power down the player (i.e. turn it off completely)

Power up the player with the Region 1 DVD in it.

Many of the brands will reset the region when this happens. A few of the studios have started added some additional protection to the discs which is bypassed if you power off / on with the disc in the player.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/rce.html

What's the logic behind selling DVDs that only work in specific regions?

Compliance with local censorship and licensing is the official reason. Revenue protection is the real one I believe.

The on-off trick didn't work and I can guarantee the thing is not playing region 1 DVDs that it has played in the past.
    Any chance we could have disabled something with the remote? Or that last NOW TV update?

PDLM--
    Don't see how they would be protecting revenue. Going to end up costing them with us. Plus it obviously doesn't bother the pirates.

I believe it has nothing to do with local laws and wholly to do with revenue protection. Though I fail to understand how revenue is protected on DVDs that fail to sell in, say, region 1 that could have been shipped to another region.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Or that last NOW TV update?
    NOW decoder is quite separate from your DVD player.

Revenue Protection: Basically allows the studios to sell low priced DVDs in Asia and other parts of the world while keeping price points high in the US and European zones.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast