Diploma of Education??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The other PGDE programme majors at HKU may be okay. Others I know in different majors seem happy with their tutor. I am only commenting on the PGDE major in English (Primary Strand). It is still a relatively new programme compared with other institutions in HK. IMO Chinese U and The IEd are better choices based upon what I have seen and people who I have talked with if you are planning on working at the primary school level.

KopiC: i'm thinking of doing primary english at HKU..can you please give me some more details about the tutor? thanks..

, I too would be doing pgde in english from hku for secondary, any views on the tutors, anyone done the course for secondary?

hello there. i too am interested to hear from anyone currently enrolled in the PGDE (english major) course at HKU, or are familiar with it.

i went for my interview on saturday and was informed that it would be unsuitable for my case (i am currently working as a TA in an intl' school and hope to get my PGDE to become a qualified teacher).

it seems the PGDE eng is only suitable for teaching eng in a local school? the course coordinator warned me that my current job at an intl' school would mean i'll be able to deliver the kind of work relevant to the programme.

any thoughts or comments?

I've replied to your PM. Please check.

Note: What you were told is a load of rubbish. I've met many TAs in the PGDE program. My work colleague is a TA and she's finishing her PGDE at HKU too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi C:
    What you were told is a load of rubbish. I've met many TAs in the PGDE program. My work colleague is a TA and she's finishing her PGDE at HKU too.
    hey there. thanks again for the PM... i appreciate all that you said.

could you clarify what you meant here by 'TA'. are they working in an intl/ESF school setting whereby there isn't really an emphasis on ESL teaching?

after all, i was basically told my TA position at an ESF school was irrelevant to the PGDE english programme.

Avoid PDGE Primary English

I would agree with a few of the people posting here, avoid the Primary English Strand at HKU. If you want to teach in the ESF the format she, the tutor, goes on about contradicts ESF methods. I am teaching there now but got in through a bit of a fluke and the principal is not happy about it. I am having to relearn everything and conform to their ways, which are good but very different than HKU (primary strand) will teach you. The tutor has no primary teaching experience in either local or international schools so all her ideas are purely theoretical and in many cases unworkable. She does listen to the 'real world' problems and is very unsupportive in her refusal to make decisions when asked direct questions. She waffles and hides behind "I don't know your teaching practice..." this is true. She doesn't know any teaching practice because she has none herself. She used to be a professional harpist!

If you need the cert the ESF school I work in (until the end of term, they will hire me for maternity cover and when teachers leave but not perm, another recent grad friend is having the same problem with her ESF school) is suggesting Deakins in Aus. Distance learning is deemed better by them, perhaps the format is more in line with ESF expectations. I have to say I think it would work better in a local context too. We argued against our PDGE tutor's recommendations but in the end complied to pass, and escape!

A friend of mine deferred until she could get into secondary and is finding that male tutor much better. I have him now and he is fine for my reading course. I am avoiding the PDGE Eng prim tutor's phonology course for the above reasons. When I mentioned it to another student who had taken the phonology course she taught me the word for 'lunatic' in chinese in reference to lady (Harpist) tutor.

Deakin University (Faculty of Education) link:-
    http://www.deakin.edu.au/education/

I know a few teachers who completed their Bachelor of Teaching through Deakin. I believe teaching practice takes three months to complete. Anyway, I don't know how it works very well but I'm sure if anyone's interested, you should contact Deakin through their website.

woo, finally found this thread!! very informative, great!

so, basically, the primary english strand is out, due to the tutor and suited only for local schools. looking at the early childhood education course instead then, seeing as i'm already teaching in kindergarten now, any opinion on this course?

the long term plan is to get into international school teaching, and intention to eventually return to UK or elsewhere to teach.

what would be recommended course of action, is the PGDE suitable?

also, anyone know what international schools look for in qualifications for teachers, not just TA?

thanks for any help!!

PGDE in Early Childhood Education at HKU - it's a brand new course and offered for the first time this September. I heard that the class is already full, though you might want to check with HKU on that.

Basically, if you take any of the PGDE programs in HK with any of the universities, it will be accepted as valid teaching qualifications by every school (local or international). However, I do not know if it will be accepted in the UK or other countries. You might want to contact the relevant authority in your home country to see if they will recognise the postgraduate diploma.