Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

It was inevitable - The folks who wrote "30 Rock" Season 1, saw this coming:

Tucker Carlson: (sarcastically) Let's have our policies determined by former CableACE Award nominees.

Jenna: First, I was great in that Arliss. Second of all, if the president is so serious about the war on terror, why doesn't he hunt down and capture Barack Obama before he strikes again? It's time for a change, America. That's why I'm voting for Osama in 2008.

(waits for a response) Oh, no comeback? Ya burnt!

And the nut job anti-American rhetoric begins again. What a waste of keystrokes.

paenme and Dreadnought like this.

Uh, no Football. I'm not sorry Osama got killed, certainly - I hope he suffered a lot. It doesn't really change anything much though, probably - Al Qaeda has been pretty irrelevant anyway since Al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia was destroyed by the Iraqis (with some help from the US), and OBL even more so - simply hiding. The primary thing that OBL's death achieves is to put some closure around the whole OBL story. If he hadn't have been killed or captured by US forces, there would always be the 'well, you guys couldn't even find Bin Laden'. I'd certainly prefer OBL be a martyr than someone who killed thousands of Americans and Muslims and simply got away with it. Justice was served, if delayed.

I find it somewhat interesting to see pictures of people celebrating and waving flags at the news of the death of Bin Laden. Many people thought it was offensive when some muslims celebrated attacks on America yet a similar thing is done here.

Nothing wrong with a few high fives in private and I thought Obama's announcements was solemn enough but I don't believe partying to celebrate anyone's death even Bin Laden's is appropriate nor does it project a good image of America abroad. I think it should be job well done, a handshake and move on...

Possibly, by causing America to reverse its principles of liberty immediately following 9/11, Al Qaeda already achieved its objectives. The death of Osama 10 years later is something of a non-event.

Pekkerhead likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I find it somewhat interesting to see pictures of people celebrating and waving flags at the news of the death of Bin Laden. Many people thought it was offensive when some muslims celebrated attacks on America yet a similar thing is done here.

Nothing wrong with a few high fives in private and I thought Obama's announcements was solemn enough but I don't believe partying to celebrate anyone's death even Bin Laden's is appropriate nor does it project a good image of America abroad. I think it should be job well done, a handshake and move on...
    Not my cup of tea, certainly. There are always a few yahoos in a crowd. But actually, after watching a couple of hours of footage, I've yet to see more than a few people looking anything other than relieved.

It is unfortunately typical of you to conflate people relieved at the well-deserved death of a mass-murder with the well-publicized film of Palestinians celebrating the murder of thousands of innocent people, including about 300 Muslims (even putting aside all the work that the US under Clinton had done to secure a just peace for the Palestinians). Even Yassir Arafat was ashamed and had enough sense to go down and try to donate some of his AIDs-infected blood. So, yeah, Gilleshk, maybe those responses are the same to you.
    Loz_2, paenme and Dreadnought like this.

I agree, it's pretty hard to call Al Qaeda irrelevant when it altered americans way of life possibly forever. As I said the cost in personal freedom, convenience and money has been high.

10 years down the road and trillions of dollars spent and the organization still lives though it's leader is dead though will likely never be forgotten and the climate of fear that they've created will continue to live on for many more years. They've also managed to embroil the US and allies in Iraq and Afghanistan at the cost of many american lives and incredible amounts of money. Some progress has been made but at great costs and there's still plenty of trouble ahead. There might be celebrations tonight but there's still plenty of work to do tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Possibly, by causing America to reverse its principles of liberty immediately following 9/11, Al Qaeda already achieved its objectives. The death of Osama 10 years later is something of a non-event.
    Sorry, even if that silly statement were true (the US still seems to have a Constitution and a Bill of Rights) Osama's objective was to create a reaction that would force the entire Arab world to unite and destroy the infidels, leaving most of the EMEA region under a newly-revived 7th Century Caliphat. That goal seems to have, um, not quite been achieved.

But frankly speaking, killing laden is not a big deal in the sense that al-qaeda is a huge organisation and it'd keep coming up with all sorts of attacks all over the world, it's a multi-million dollar rogue corporate unto itself, one osama more or less won't make a difference. Yes, he was their biggest star, but he wasn't the organisation. If he's gone then someone else would take his place and I am sure the day he plotted 9/11 he must have made the arrangements for his successor, he must be happy he got 10 years extra.
    Killing him won't make any difference, except symbolically. The menace of terrorism won't be resolved like this, but, then no one knows if it could be ever resolved....

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Not my cup of tea, certainly. There are always a few yahoos in a crowd. But actually, after watching a couple of hours of footage, I've yet to see more than a few people looking anything other than relieved.

It is unfortunately typical of you to conflate people relieved at the well-deserved death of a mass-murder with the well-publicized film of Palestinians celebrating the murder of thousands of innocent people, including about 300 Muslims (even putting aside all the work that the US under Clinton had done to secure a just peace for the Palestinians). Even Yassir Arafat was ashamed and had enough sense to go down and try to donate some of his AIDs-infected blood. So, yeah, Gilleshk, maybe those responses are the same to you.
    They are not the same and you should be adult enough not to indulge in foolish rumors like the AIDS one with Arafat.

Medical Records Say Arafat Died From a Stroke - New York Times

And if it was true, the correct way to refer to this would be HIV infected blood...

I don't think it's appropriate to celebrate someone's death in public even if it's a mass murderer. Many people feel the same and there are always vigil's being held when prisoner's are being put to death in the US.

All that it does is give images to fuel the flames of hatred. It wasn't appropriate for the muslims to celebrate the attacks and I don't believe it's any more appropriate for the few americans who are doing it now. It simply helps in fostering more hatred. As I said, I think Obama's address was quite solemn which I thought was very presidential of him.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast