Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

[HKITperson] We can't have democratic governments going around the world murdering people they don't like... no matter how popular it is.

I'm not aware of anyone being murdered recently by a democratic government. Plenty of people are murdered by dictatorships, sure, but not usualy by democratic governments. I invite you again, HKIT, to enlighten me and explain who has been "murdered" recently.

How gutted must G Dubya be though that he didn't rat out sexy Osama himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    [HKITperson] We can't have democratic governments going around the world murdering people they don't like... no matter how popular it is.

I'm not aware of anyone being murdered recently by a democratic government. Plenty of people are murdered by dictatorships, sure, but not usualy by democratic governments. I invite you again, HKIT, to enlighten me and explain who has been "murdered" recently.
    You can't really deny that despite the best efforts of Osama's wife's body, that he was murdered. Two shots in the tete.

What do you call it?

Quote Originally Posted by aliendavid1:
    Hmmmm.... a full inquiry should be set up to determine whether those killed were lawful. HAHAHA have you heard of September 11, 2001? When Osama Bin Laden planned the terrorist attacks on the United States and took credit for it?

The reason why these democratic goverments do not like these people is because these people kill thousands of INNOCENT people. I don't think you even know what the meaning of checks and balances are.

From your logic it is wrong to kill terrorist and mass murderers, but you make no mention of the innocent victims that they have killed and are planning to killing.

I don't think the SEALS had the chance to arrest or talk Osama Bin Laden to give himself up, because he was too busy SHOOTING and trying to KILL them.
    By my logic it is wrong for any civilised country to kill anyone. It is also wrong for civilized countries to go around assasinating people they don't like.... including mass murderers and terrorists. The US constitution and the UK laws are there to ensure that "everyone is equal before the law" and that everyone no matter how odious, is entitled to a free trial. That sets us apart from others.

What you are basically saying is that this is nothing to do with justice but revenge. Just because thousands died in 9/11, that we are entitled to ride roughsod over all that the values we believe in.
    Because of 9/11, how many hundreds and thousands of innocents have been killed as revenge?

Btw, how do you know that Bin Laden was "too busy trying to kill"? You have some information that we are not aware of? Given that the US military has a history of lying, I would take that statement as a pinch of salt.
    An inquiry should be set up to ensure that the law was followed and that the other people inside were killed in self defence and were either innocent or not.

Ditto for the Nato raid where small kids were killed.... but then again, since they were brown... I wouldn't expect much.

So you have resorted to personal insults when you can't win an argument. Pathetic specimen you are!
    What happened to Ghadaffi's son and grandkids when Nato bombed? Bin Laden may have been unlawfully killed or murdered. Democratic Governments cannot do revenge extrajudicial killings but justice... in this case justice has not been done because he has not been brought up into a court of law to answer for his crimes.
    Isn't the whole basis of democracy built on justice and the rule of law?

Quote Originally Posted by SarWatA:
    his body should have been shown to the world, for them to see and have a relief that he is no more but no!! US has created doubts,which is wrong......
    Muslims need to be buried within 24 hours of death. To do otherwise would just have given the radicals even more ammunition to say the US does not respect their religion.

It is pretty clear Bin Laden was murdered - even the White House this morning is confirming he was unarmed but "resisting". There is no call in any lawful country to shoot someone twice in the head if they are just "resisting arrest" but are unarmed. It's also pretty obvious why it was necessary - if he's remained alive no doubt his followers would have moved heaven and earth to get him out, risking many more lives in the process; he would have remained a figurehead capable of insiring more death and destruction. On balance, they did the right thing. I don't think it should be commonplace, but this was not a "common" situation. Bin Laden put himself in the firing line and smiled doing it. He got what was coming to him. Live by the gun; die by the gun.
    luckycat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It is pretty clear Bin Laden was murdered - even the White House this morning is confirming he was unarmed but "resisting". There is no call in any lawful country to shoot someone twice in the head if they are just "resisting arrest" but are unarmed. It's also pretty obvious why it was necessary - if he's remained alive no doubt his followers would have moved heaven and earth to get him out, risking many more lives in the process; he would have remained a figurehead capable of insiring more death and destruction. On balance, they did the right thing. I don't think it should be commonplace, but this was not a "common" situation. Bin Laden put himself in the firing line and smiled doing it. He got what was coming to him. Live by the gun; die by the gun.
    But by creating a martyr out of him, aren't we doing precisely creating a situation whereby more deaths and destruction would occur?
    By showing the world of how the law truly operates in a an open democracy would be 100 times more powerful than showing that all we want is revenge and hell bent on wars.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    You can't really deny that despite the best efforts of Osama's wife's body, that he was murdered. Two shots in the tete.

What do you call it?
    Um, no. "murder" is a legally-defined term. He was "killed".

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    While that is an interesting argument - I am surprised. I thought that you were a lawyer? If you want to go down this path, perhaps the word 'assassinated' would be more appropriate. I don't think anyone (except someone rather ignorant) would argue that killing Bin Laden was an illegal act.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast