Like Tree139Likes

Bin Laden Found Dead?

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast

If the tide was turned and some sovereign country did a daring raid into the US for a wanted terrorist, do you think the US would like it? Not on your life!

Another example of USA foreign policy gone wrong. The USA just do what they want and most foreign countries don't have much say in the matter.

Obama is in Pakistan soon on a visit. It will be interesting to see what happens with the relationship. There is alot of hatred in Pakistan at the moment with the bodyguard there a few months ago killing innocent people has left alot more bitterness in there. I am sure if this continues more terrorist groups will emerge to replace bin laden pretty quickly.

Last edited by virago; 05-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    HKITperson likes this.

Supposedly they popped in using an experimental helo is what the press is saying.

Then again they were in helo's, my thoughts are they flew NOE below Pakistani radar and used a bunch of awacs to feed false data into the Pakistani radar installations to show that the skies were clear when in reality they had intruders.

The Pakistani's are still using hand me down Soviet Era radar technology they acquired from China. The majority of the time they have the primary radar early warning systems on, but the secondary systems do not come online until the primary detects a few boogies on the horizon.

Original Post Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Football, that is broadly where I am at the moment, too, though FreeTrader's arguments are pretty compelling. I don't think any of us are a million miles away from each other on this.

HKITPerson you have lost me I am afraid!
    Luckycat, it's simply because you have a position that Might is right and that so long as you get your revenge then that's all that matters.
    There are too many open questions.
    Again, don't you think it is strange for the US forces to have legged it when they already shot dead OBL... when they were not in hostile territory? The US is not at war with Pakistan!
    Why couldn't they have just waited for the Pakistan authorities to arrive... unless they had something to hide.. After all Pakistan are their allies.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    Luckycat, it's simply because you have a position that Might is right and that so long as you get your revenge then that's all that matters.
    There are too many open questions.
    Again, don't you think it is strange for the US forces to have legged it when they already shot dead OBL... when they were not in hostile territory? The US is not at war with Pakistan!
    Why couldn't they have just waited for the Pakistan authorities to arrive... unless they had something to hide.. After all Pakistan are their allies.
    My view is this.

They legged it because that they weren't authorised by Pakistan to be there. I however don't think that they would have caught OBL had they (1) asked Pakistan to capture him and extradite him or (2) kill him. I think OBL would have conveniently gone missing.

The USA did something illegal, but what other choice did it have?

Edit: and I should add, the USA shouldn't really even care. What it should do is instead of sugar-coat "we got justice", say "we got revenge - dirty, cold blooded, pre-meditated revenge, and if any other terrorist steps up to the fore, that is exactly what they will get"

Then, in my mind, there will be bullets spraying from everywhere with a kill counter a la Hot Shots Part Deux. Yessir.
    Last edited by luckycat; 05-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    If the tide was turned and some sovereign country did a daring raid into the US for a wanted terrorist, do you think the US would like it? Not on your life!

Another example of USA foreign policy gone wrong. The USA just do what they want and most foreign countries don't have much say in the matter.
    Weak foreign countries may I add.
    Was it Rumsfield who admitted telling that they will bomb Pakistan back to the dark ages if they did not join the "coalition of the willing"?

I agree.... if let's say China goes in and snatches some dissident... what would be the reaction in the US I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by HKITperson:
    I agree.... if let's say China goes in and snatches some dissident... what would be the reaction in the US I wonder.
    Not really the same thing is it?
    luckycat likes this.

My view is this.

They legged it because that they weren't authorised by Pakistan to be there. I however don't think that they would have caught OBL had they (1) asked Pakistan to capture him and extradite him or (2) kill him. I think OBL would have conveniently gone missing.

The USA did something illegal, but what other choice did it have?

Edit: and I should add, the USA shouldn't really even care. What it should do is instead of sugar-coat "we got justice", say "we got revenge - dirty, cold blooded, pre-meditated revenge, and if any other terrorist steps up to the fore, that is exactly what they will get"

Then, in my mind, there will be bullets spraying from everywhere with a kill counter a la Hot Shots Part Deux. Yessir.
    Thanks Lucky cat for being so honest. Instead of FT trying to give some sh#t about it all being legal, being so Gung Ho and so on...

Ok, accepted from a practical POV that it was something that had to do to please the public and the thirst for revenge. But by lying about it makes the situation even worse. Obama should simply have said.. "We executed this bag of shit... illegally... but it had to be done in National interests" rather than "Justice" beeen done... Justice was not done. Real justice comes from the being able to face the families of victims and for them to understand why their loved ones were murdered.

My main concern is that by doing something so brazenly illegal, the reprecussions of such an action... you may say that "US doesn't give a damn" but when they are trying to "export" democratic values to the world... they are creating 100 more Bin Laden's.
    The US has to be seen to be above the law... that is the whole basis of being a democratic institution.

Well, if you take the case of how the Russians dealt with the Chechen terrorists in the auditorium nearly ten years ago, there is an argument for that. Such heavy handed tactics certainly seemed to win the day (and many days after then) for the Russians.

Correctamundo.

Were you really exiled from Ull? Errr nerr. Worrabout Bev Rerd or Prinny Av?
    Self-exile . There's ner sner ern rerd. Fern cerl fer yer. Oh I miss the accent!
    luckycat likes this.

Me too. Some of my best friends are Hullians (or Hulligans, as I like to call them). I love just listening to them. Hull, with no sarcasm, wit or joke, is the best place on earth. Such laid back, genuine, lovely people.

First day I was there, we went bowling. I rocked up to the counter and a woman kept saying to me "birth shoes please, birth shoes". I had no idea what she was talking about - all the Hulligans were in hysterics!

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 35 ... LastLast