Laptop wanted! Need expert's recommendation of brand and shops~

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Laptops - my choice...

In my humble opinion there is no choice for a laptop PC.

1. Thinkpad T60 with 1400x1050 screen.
    or
    2. Thinkpad X60 if you need it light.

They have 3 year international warranty - the local fix it shop is in Quarry Bay with typical 2 hour turn-around time.

Macs can take several days to get fixed and/or new parts shipped in...

Sony's are too proprietary and thus price gouge on peripherals they make (brand) - I swore to myself I'll never buy Sony again for that reason - just look at the relative prices of Sony Memory Sticks vs similar sized memory from anyone else.

Laptops - my choice

Oh and I dropped my Thinkpad and it survived OK.

A friend in the UK regularly has to send his Sony to Hong Kong for repair because the (out-of warranty) repair in UK is astronomically expensive.

I have owned a ThinkPad X31 for nearly three years and it has been faultless. In fact, I doubt that it would break even if dropped. Recently I bought a Sony VAIO VGN series model and though beautifully crafted it pales against the X31 for lightness and durability. The battery life of the Sony, even on stamina setting, is only slightly better than the three year-old IBM.

I have an IBM X24 that gets knocked around and it is also running flawlessly too. About 4 years old now.

I'm gonna make a slightly unconventional recommendation: Fujitsu. I was recently given a Fujitsu laptop by one of my students, and I love it! It's very light and the most stable machine I've ever owned. The battery life is excellent, and from what I've seen, they're pretty reasonable too. The laptop I'm on now is a 17" Dell E1705 (9600) that weights about 4 kg. I don't really like to carry this bad boy around unless it's in a suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocred:
    In my humble opinion there is no choice for a laptop PC.

1. Thinkpad T60 with 1400x1050 screen.
    or
    2. Thinkpad X60 if you need it light.

They have 3 year international warranty - the local fix it shop is in Quarry Bay with typical 2 hour turn-around time.

Macs can take several days to get fixed and/or new parts shipped in...

Sony's are too proprietary and thus price gouge on peripherals they make (brand) - I swore to myself I'll never buy Sony again for that reason - just look at the relative prices of Sony Memory Sticks vs similar sized memory from anyone else.
    I concur with this too - and get the Core 2 Duo variants..

Quote Originally Posted by stylejj:
    After all, anyone interested in going to Wanchai computer centre this weekend/next weekend? I need HELP! Wandering around store by store won't help me make up my mind, especially I don't even know the right questions to ask the sales men.
    Well... I'm always happy to help spend other people's money

The big question I don't think you've answered is what sort of budget you're on? Other things would be if you'd consider a second-hand machine - personally, I wouldn't - and really, what sort of balance of price/performance/form-factor you're after. You can get a great powerful small machine if you're willing to spend big bucks, or a bigger powerful machine for less money, or a small low-power machine for, well, medium money maybe...

So far it's come down to the choices among Mac, IBM and Sony - they are all over $10k if I am not wrong (not fit my initial budget but I don't mind if it suits the "best value for money" request). Like I said in the beginning, I just need it for basic use, no playing games or watching movies.

Now what do you say?

check out the fujitsu's they have a nice slim line up

Quote Originally Posted by stylejj:
    So far it's come down to the choices among Mac, IBM and Sony - they are all over $10k if I am not wrong (not fit my initial budget but I don't mind if it suits the "best value for money" request). Like I said in the beginning, I just need it for basic use, no playing games or watching movies.

Now what do you say?
    to acquire what you are describing it will be over 10k HKD$

Lenovos start at under 10K.