Visa and right to enter

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    HK is a notoriously expensive city and they will question how it's possible to afford to spend so much time here without working...
    Agreed. My little brother (18 years old) from the States has been out to visit us a few times and he stays a while each time. The time before last time he was here I needed to show immigration some paperwork regarding my salary and my immigration status to show that there were people who were legally in HK who could fully support him. I'm not sure what triggered the questions (it was his third visit, I think) but something did. Once we showed that he obviously was not working here or planning to overstay they had no problem with him. They didn't even ask questions the next time he visited.

I don't think its illegal to enter and exit HK as a tourist every 3 months so long as you are just visiting here and not working / studying.

If you went back and forwards every three months to reset your tourist stay - if I were immigration I would be asking exactly what you are doing in Hong Kong and how you are financing your accomodation/living if you are not working here? If you reset it 2 or 3 times... 6 or 9 months is a long holiday in one place!!

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    I wouldn't use Macau or China to reset my visa. Instead, see the rest of Asia. You can fly to so many different countries for just a few hundred $CAD. That's what I do, and I've been here over a year. As long as they know you aren't working here, I am pretty sure they won't mind having you visit their country every 3 months. I love Hong Kong! I don't have to live here, I don't work here, but I love it! That's why I choose to live here.

Didn't immigration ask you how you are supporting yourself if you have been in HK for over a year? I guess I can use the opportunity to travel to taiwan and china.

I am just scared that immigration won't let me into HK on like my second (so 3 months plus 3 months in HK already) try and all my stuff is in HK. How am I suppose get my stuff? What do you guys and girls think the probability of this happening would be? High or low?

Who knows. I'd be prepared to show them how I intended to continue supporting myself without working for such an extended period of time in an expensive city. Sooner or later they will ask you about that. If you are denied entry, I hope you have a buddy who can ship your stuff out for you.

If they decide they don't like you coming in any more what they do is give you a one-time shorter duration (3-7 days) entry for you to sort out your affairs and ship stuff out, and your passport is marked with a code that will ensure that Immigration checks up on the record next time you try to enter and would probably stop you entering that time unless a suitable period had elapsed with you out of HK.

Last edited by PDLM; 22-05-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Why is your stuff in HK? Sorry but the whole thing sounds dodgy to me and I wouldn't risk it!!

Why is your stuff in HK? Sorry but the whole thing sounds dodgy to me and I wouldn't risk it!!
    If you were in Hong Kong for a number of months and going to Shenzhen/Macau for a day or a few hours would you take all of your things such as clothing, cleaners, makeup, laptop, VCD's, and all your other belongings?

No, but I also wouldn't put myself into a position where a dodgy visa run was required every several months.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    No, but I also wouldn't put myself into a position where a dodgy visa run was required every several months.
    If you won't do that...how can you stay in HK for longer than 6 months? I am scared I will not be able to find a job in HK in 6 months time as it looks hard for me now.